Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Headcheese



It has been hot for a few days; what better way to eat some headcheese. My wife makes it from pork hocks and pork feet. Topped with raw onions, a little vinegar dribbled over it and eaten with fried potatoes makes it a delicious meal. It has to be cold, of course. After all, it is summertime. It eats so easy, but she made enough for a second meal.





Some people don’t eat pork for religious and other reasons. Well, they don’t know what they are missing. Yesterday we ate grilled pork rib steaks. I barbeque them with just a hint of pink, which leaves them nice and tender.

Today I spent most of my day weeding and watering the garden. The soil was dry and is cracking in places. We need rain badly. Some parts of Manitoba received heavy rain, some had hail, high winds, thundershowers, but we seem to be in a sort of secluded cone that leaves us dry. Yesterday we had a huge bank of dark clouds over us with thunder and we expected a thunderstorm. I even filled a few containers with water in case of a power failure, but we got just a few drops of rain, and that was all.

The sky did look scary


Mind you, I’m not asking for a huge downpour; just enough to soak the grass and the soil so I don’t have to waste so much of my time watering. Fortunately, we have our own well and don’t have to pay for water—not yet anyway.

Every time we get a thunderstorm I worry about getting hail and high winds. My garden is doing great. Everything is growing. I don’t want anything damaged. We’ve been eating lettuce every day, also a few cucumbers. Today I saw the first yellow zucchini on the plants, lots of them and also plenty of yellow and purple bean shoots. It is only a question of days until we eat our first beans and zucchini. We love fresh beans picked straight from the garden. They are so delicious.

Our Goodland apple tree is laden with apples and promises to deliver a great harvest with plenty of apples. I counted nearly a hundred apples. They can grow to around 3 1/2 inches. Last year the deer ate them all. So far no deer. I hope they stay away. The only time I want to see deer is when I go hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment