Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Snow...and more snow, but fishing is still good.

A couple of weeks ago my neighbor predicted we'll get snow on the 27th of October. How did he know? Actually, it started snowing already yesterday. I went fishing early in the morning and it was miserable. I'm only a short distance away from Lockport and the Red River, so it takes me less than ten minutes to get there. Good thing, apparently the roads were quite treacherous, causing many accidents in and around Winnipeg. The road I was on was okay. There were only a couple of guys there. Luckily, they weren't fishing on 'my spot' where I knew the fish were. Most of the time somebody is already there. I caught a fish with every cast. Saugers, a relative of the Walleye, but smaller. Some of the fish were not  big enough to be kept so I released them again. However, I had four nice ones within ten minutes. Four is the limit you can keep, and I went home again. My mission was successful, my mission to bring home fish for supper. It certainly wasn't a pleasure trip. It was cold, the wind blowing from the north, sleet hitting your face. What kind of person goes out in weather like that? I'll tell you: only a desperate, diehard fisherman, who may just be a little bit crazy. That's what my wife told me. The only thing keeping me there was the fact that I was actually catching fish.
I was using a 1/8 oz jighead with a 3" chartreuse Single Tail plastic grub on an 8 pound line. I cast the jig into the spot where I knew from previous fishing that fish would be there. Then I retrieved it slowly. When I felt the tug on the line I set the hook. What a great feeling! One doesn't get that lucky often enough.
I went fishing for Walleye last month with my friend and my cousin. We spent the whole day on the lake trolling but I didn't even get a bite. The fact that it was a beautiful day, the lake calm and the scenery great, and spending quality time with friends, made it a great experience. A time to be cherished. Catching a few fish would have made it perfect, though.
Last night it snowed and this morning everything is covered with snow. I'm afraid this time it will stay. The temperature dips way below zero at night and we may not even see above zero temperatures again this year. I feel sorry for the kids when they go trick or treating on Halloween. I remember going with our boys on cold, windy, and wet Halloweens, sometimes we even had a snow storm, but I also remember nice, warm evenings where the kids didn't have to hide their costumes under thick parkas. But there are still a few days left. Perhaps the weather will change and it won't be miserable.
This morning  I saw a few juncos (a type of sparrow) hopping around on the snow-covered lawn. They are late this year. Usually they come much earlier. I filled the bird feeders yesterday. They were empty. We get a lot of birds every day and they eat like crazy, but we love watching them and don't mind spending the money for the seeds. The juncos love to pick on the ground, but with the snow they'll have to go into the feeders.  

No comments:

Post a Comment