Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, July 22, 2013

Another culinary delight

Anyone who has ever eaten Swiss Chard may know what I'm talking about. We harvested a bag full of Swiss Chard today and had it for supper. The funny thing with this vegetable is that even if you have a bag full, once it is cooked there isn't much there.

My wife boiled it, chopped it up a little, then she sauteed it with onions. We eat it with mashed potatoes, fried eggs, a couple of wieners, and a little Maggi (like Soya sauce) mixed into the Swiss Chard. It tasted delicious.



Talking about culinary delights. We are having trouble with rabbits. There is one large one, probably the mother, and two small ones. They are both of different sizes. My wife caught the little one and carried it into the neighbor's yard. We have large properties and she thought it would be okay. My neighbor has a corner in his yard that is a bit messy, with hay and all kinds of stuff. A good place for a rabbit to make a home. Well, this one didn't like it there. It came back. As the saying goes: No good deed goes unpunished. It's been eating most of the lilies. Now we put a wire fence around a couple of the flower beds, then the little bugger moved to another flowerbed. You just can't put a fence around every flower bed. In the beginning the mother ate some of my lettuce and the beans until I chased her out every day. I even shot at her with my slingshot. She may have gotten the hint, but now she came back also.

The mother doesn't hang around too often, though. I guess she found another dining room with one of the neighbors. The smaller one is probably doing his share of destroying our place. I put up a trap, but so far no luck. They are smart and wary.

Yesterday a hawk came by and walked under the cedars. Usually, we chase the hawk away, because we feed the birds, but this time we didn't. We hoped he'd get one of the rabbits. We think he got one a while ago, because we found a piece of fur and a small rabbit tail. He didn't get anything this time. All three rabbits made an appearance today. Nothing seems to help. We've been spraying the plants with a concoction of water, garlic, and hot sauce. That doesn't seem to deter them.

Today one of the small ones was inside the cage but didn't spring the trigger. It ate the
carrots I put in. Now I rigged the trigger so it will collapse the cage when barely bumped. Hoping it works. I feel like Elmer Fudd. We can't  discharge weapons in our area, otherwise I would go rabbit hunting. They do taste good. I just want to catch them and take them across the river and release them. They won't come back from there. Maybe they'll annoy some farmer and he'll get them. One can only hope. Some people may find this offensive, because all they see are cute little bunnies. Rabbits can be a great nuisance, and they multiply like...well, like rabbits.

1 comment:

  1. In the last week I have moved 10 squirrels, mostly red ones. And they also can get inside (sometimes) without triggering the doors. Now I stick the peanuts in peanut butter and that works. Got the odd sparrow who gets in and eats the peanut butter as well. Those I just let go again. Shooting would be nice eh!!

    ReplyDelete