Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Poem for a girl



Last week we went to our granddaughter’s Graduation. Actually, it wasn’t really a graduation, more a celebration of the end of Grade 5. The school she went to went through some changes. From now on it will only have students from Kindergarten to

Grade 5 instead of Grade 6. That’s why the celebration. She and all the other kids going into Grade 6 will have to go to another School.

I made a nice card for her and wrote her a little poem. She didn’t seem overly excited about it and I hope she appreciates the effort I made. But then again, she is only 11 years old and maybe I expected too much. Nobody wrote a poem for me when I was 11, so I can’t say how I would have reacted. Then again, we didn’t celebrate anything at school until we left in Grade 8 (that was in Germany). Many students began an apprenticeship at 14 years of age, after Grade 8. Some went on to higher Schools to get more education, like I did. When I left High School I didn’t get a poem, either. I didn’t have an uncle or grandfather who did that sort of thing. If they did, I might have thought it weird. I don’t know. Kids think different from adults.

Anyway, I do write the occasional poem, mainly for my wife, even though I don’t consider myself a poet. I believe, she appreciates them. At least, I hope she does. She always says so. I always remind her that buying a card or flowers is easy, making a card and writing a poem does take effort and time and it comes from the heart.

Here is the poem I wrote for my granddaughter:

 On your journey through life
You will learn new things
And you must learn to accept
What destiny brings

You study and learn
And then you graduate
But that’s not the end
And you must not be afraid

Now you’ve graduated from Grade Five
You will leave your school and old friends
Remember, this is just the beginning
Your education never ends

But today is your Graduation
Be happy and have fun
We wish you all the luck
Today and every day from now on

With lots of Love
Oma and Opa
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment