Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

#The Weather Forecaster's Song




 The Weather Forecaster's Song


I forecast the weather and I love my job
Because I can’t do no wrong
No matter what I forecast I can’t be blamed
Every day it’s the same sing-song

I will tell you it might rain or it might snow
The sun may even appear
Every night on TV I’ll make a big show
And I do this without fear

I just flip my coin in my secret room
Rain or shine it don’t matter to me
Will I forecast gloom and doom
Heads or tails, what will it be?

Will the sun shine or will there be a storm
To be honest I have no clue
How the weather pattern will perform
Sometimes I truly wish I knew

With weather satellites to track the clouds
And other high-tech gizmos
I still don’t know what it’s all about
None of us weather people really knows

My job is secure, for life you might say
I work for the government you see
With this job I will always stay
For the benefits and the security.

So let me give you some advice
If the weather you want to know
Check in the Farmer’s Almanac
Or just look out of your window

© 2014 Herbert Grosshans


It’s enough to drive you crazy. Last night the all-knowing weather-people forecast the temperature to drop down to 4 C. They didn’t say ‘Risk of Frost’ like the night before, but 4 C is close enough to worry. So we covered up my wife’s newly planted flowers and my garden. I’m mainly concerned with my tomatoes and peppers. And the cucumbers. None of them like cold. And we do this work around midnight after watching the news. The night before we didn’t get to bed before 1:00 a.m. So we weren’t happy to go through this whole thing again. In the dark, or semi-dark. We do have bright lights on our house and we can light up most of the yard. In addition, I wear a headlamp.

Covering up everything is not too bad. We are prepared. I have huge tarps and burlap. Also a large number of ice-cream pails and plastic pots we saved over the years from all the shrubs and small trees we bought to be planted in our yard. But it still takes time to do it, especially at night.

Friday night it actually did go down to the predicted temperature, but last night it didn’t. When I checked this morning at 6:00 a.m. it was 9 C. They were completely wrong with their forecast. To add insult to injury this morning it started raining. Not much but enough to make the grass wet. That rain had not been forecast either. So my wife and I rushed out at around 8:00 a.m. to remove the tarps and the burlap from my garden. It is not good to have wet burlap, and, of course, we need the rain water for the plants. No sooner were we finished the rain stopped and the sun appeared.

I want to strangle those weather forecasters! Unfortunately, we can’t ignore their warnings, because there is a good chance they may just be right. Fat chance but it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment