Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Back Home again



We’re home and the work begins again. I cut the grass Saturday.  It was quite high. Because of all the rain we’ve had, our grass has never been this green and still growing this way in September.

When I cut the grass, I came across a whole bunch of mushrooms growing underneath our Tamarack trees. I’ve seen them before in other years, but never in such abundance. I usually run them over with my lawn tractor, but they always make such a mess. This time, I got off my tractor and began pulling the mushrooms out of the ground. Then I noticed the spongy belly (that’s not the right word for it, but it’ll do). I remembered finding these mushrooms in the forest. I knew they were edible. We used to put them into soup. They are quite mushy when fried, though.

I picked a half ice-cream pail full, and then I found a couple more spots. Altogether I picked nearly two ice-cream pails full of mushrooms. There were quite a few I had to discard, because they were infested with worms. Another indicator that they are edible. I looked them up in my mushroom book just to make sure they were okay, not having the desire to poison myself. We used to call them ‘Butter-mushrooms’, because they are so soft, but that is not the correct name. According to my book, they belong to the ‘Suillus’ family. There are approximately 50 species of those mushrooms in North America. None of them are poisonous. The ones I found in our yard are called ‘Suillus Grevillei’ and they appear in abundance under Tamarack (larch) trees.



That evening, it was Saturday, we barbequed beef steak, shrimp, and fried up some of the mushrooms with onions. We also ate one of our own Yukon Gold potatoes I dug up from the garden (It was so huge, too large even for the two of us.) Then we had a glass of my home-made wine. What a scrumptious dinner, a gourmet feast, actually.  And it didn’t cost an arm and a leg, they way it is when you go out for supper. Neither did I have to fork over a large tip. Another thing, you couldn’t even get these particular mushrooms.





The rest of the mushrooms we boiled for about 3 minutes and then we put them into small bags and froze them, to be used in soups and stews in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment