Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, September 22, 2014

I am an odd guy, but otherwise I’m quite normal



This blog may be a little controversial and I apologize in advance if it offends anyone.
Some people think I’m odd, old-fashioned, and intolerant. I’m not naming people, but I’m married to one of them. She thinks I’m odd because of my opinions and little quirks. (She does agree with some of my opinions, though).You be the judge. I’m baring my soul here.

Ø      I don’t like sweet and sour. Either sweet or sour, not mixed.
Ø      I don’t like pineapple on my pizza.
Ø      I don’t like ice in my drinks. Neither do I like a beverage so hot it burns my lips when I sip it. I cool down my tea before I drink it.
Ø      When I go out for supper, I don’t want my beer brought before the food arrives. I want it served at the same time. I don’t like stale beer.
Ø      I buy Yogurt only when it’s on sale and then I stock up.
Ø      I like only strawberry ice cream. In a pinch, I will eat other flavor, but I don’t care much for chocolate ice cream.
Ø      I think people who cover their God-given bodies with tattoos are morons.
Ø      Guys who wear earrings are sissies.
Ø      People who put pins, bolts, and rings through their tongues, lips, eyebrows, and other body parts (except earlobes) should see a shrink. It may be alright for primitive tribes living in the jungles of Africa and South America, but not for civilized people. There is no help for guys with buttons in their earlobes. Their only hope is to die before they get old, because they’ll trip over their floppy earlobes.
Ø      Women who buy and wear brand new jeans with holes and rips already in them have no taste and they should have their heads checked for holes. I don’t even wear jeans like that in the garden. (I have to admit, though, some of them look damn cute and sexy in their frayed cut-off jeans. Who cares if they’re bubble-heads.) [That’s right, I’m a regular guy and that shallow. Guys think like that!]
Ø      I like women with long hair.
Ø      I don’t care much for women with a man’s haircut. (They probably don’t care much for me, either, or any other man).
Ø      Guys with long hair and ponytails should get a descent haircut. They look ridiculous not macho. Old guys with long hair and ponytails are just simple imbeciles. Stupid isn’t a word strong enough for those guys and girls with spiked, brightly colored hair. Do they ever look in the mirror? The other day I saw a guy who looked like a rooster with his blue and red spikes on an otherwise bald head.
Ø      I think guys who race in ditches with their snowmobiles are idiots.
Ø      Guys who wear their baseball cap with the shield in the back look like morons; guys who wear the shield sideways are morons.
Ø      Guys with stubble on their face are not cool and handsome. They look grubby and unkempt. Same goes for long, scraggly beards.
Ø      I shudder when I see guys walking away from urinals without washing their hands.
Ø      Doctors should stop telling people that you can’t get a cold when your body or head is chilled. I get a cold every time my head gets chilly.
Ø      I don’t believe gay people of the same gender should get married. I don’t care if they live together as a couple, but marriage should be left to a man and woman, the way it has been for centuries.
Ø      Fat people should stop griping that they can’t lose weight. My advice is: Don’t stuff your face with too much food. You find very few overweight people in third world countries. That should be a clue.
Ø      Skinny people? I have nothing for you. I used to be skinny myself. Just keep on complaining about not being able to gain weight. Eat as much as you can and hope for the best.
Ø      I don’t follow trends. I think people who do are sheep and have no mind of their own.
Ø      We should not make up cute names for people with problems. A fat person is not weight-challenged. A mentally handicapped person is neither mentally challenged nor ‘Special’. A Mongol child is not blessed and a gift from God; it’s a heartbreak and a curse. We should face the truth and say it as it is not sugarcoat it.
Ø      Parents who continually stuff their children with greasy, fast foods and snacks that cause them to become obese should be charged with child abuse.
Ø      Anyone letting a child under twelve years old handle a gun, or worse, an assault rifle, should be charged with a criminal offense.
Ø      Children should be taught discipline and respect. They should be told not asked what they want to wear or what they want for supper. They should learn to be responsible for their actions and punished if they misbehave. If they don’t make the grade in School, they should be failed. That is real love, because if they don’t learn when they are young, they will fail later in life.
Ø      A teenage girl or an unmarried woman getting pregnant is not a wonderful event; it is a tragedy. One can only hope that teenage girl has understanding parents who give her support, otherwise that unwed mother and her kid(s) will most likely end up on welfare and become a burden to society. Besides, children need a father in their life. And I don’t mean two fathers. Neither do they need two mothers.
Ø      I think there should be no insanity pleas for murderers. A person murdering another human being is not sane. It should not be an excuse to get away with it.
Ø      There should be an automatic death sentence for anyone found guilty of premeditated murder.
Ø      Child molesters should be castrated.
Ø      Immigrants who don’t accept our Canadian laws and customs should be deported back to their country.
Ø      Anyone with more than five children should not be allowed into Canada. Even five children is already too many in this crowded world. Who will feed them?
Ø      Anyone found guilty of terrorism should be sent to jail for the rest of his life and his family deported back to their country of origin. If they are immigrants who have become Canadians, they should be stripped of their Canadian citizenship. The same goes for any other country.
Ø      There should be no dual citizenship. Either you are a Canadian or not.
Ø      It irks me if people tell me only their views are valid, mine are wrong, and I’d better change mine. I don’t tell them to change theirs.
Ø      I can’t find sympathy with people who complain they have nothing to eat, nothing to wear, their houses are in need of repair, but they do nothing about it, waiting instead for the government or other people to do it for them. My advice: Stop whining, grow a garden, raise rabbits and chickens if you have the room, keep sheep or goats for milk, butter, and cheese. Sow your own clothes or fix up the old ones. And, for heaven's sake, stop having more children. My family did all those when I was young and when things were bad after the war in Europe. We are living in a great country and with a little bit of hard work and determination anything is possible.

I did not write this to offend anyone. These are my views and I have a right to have and to express them. We’re still living in a free country. Anyone who feels offended might need to do a little introspecting and learn to accept other people’s views and opinions. That person might just have a few issues of their own and, possibly, also be a little odd.

I believe in being tolerant and I try to accept other people the way they are, with all their different opinions and little quirks. It’s what makes us different from each other and not just clones. I hope others accept me the way I am—not perfect, just human.

I’m not in the habit of quoting scriptures, but today I’ll make an exception:

 “Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.” Mathew 7:5

That’s right, I may not be considered a religious guy, but I do know the bible.
After rereading my list of opinions I realize I should be the first in line to follow that quote. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment