Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Pussywillows: Is Spring here?

It has been cold for a few days now. Back to normal winter conditions, because the 'heatwave' we've had for a couple of weeks was not a good thing. This morning when I looked out of the window I noticed the catkins on the pussywillows are already out--almost large enough to be picked. That is much too early. Usually, I pick them around Easter Time.

Last week, a big, gray squirrel came to the bird feeder. Much of the snow has melted and now it is getting cold again, which is not good for the plants. They don't know what to do. That insulating blanket of snow got thinner.

I went ice-fishing yesterday, an event our club 'Seven Oaks Game and Fishing Association' puts on every year at this time. The ice was still thick enough to drive on with trucks, but the surface was bumpy. We jumped all over the place.

My son, my grandson, and I caught 3 small sauger. There were others who caught fish, but the action wasn't that great overall. A couple of years ago, I bought 'Fisherman's Delight' soap, to attract fish. I used it for the first time this year. All I have to say it was a waste of my money. It didn't help at all. Much of the stuff they are selling in the stores to help catching fish is useless.

The sun came out only in the afternoon for a bit, but most of the day it snowed. It was still a lot of fun anyway.We ate hot dogs for lunch, talked with other members of the club and when we got cold we warmed up inside our heated collapsible huts. Technology is wonderful--sometimes.

Even though it's only February, I'm beginning to think about my garden. I already bought some seeds and soon I'll be making my garden plan. That is important, because I'm moving the various vegetables around to different spots in the garden, making sure I don't plant tomatoes in the same row as last year or even the year before. It  needs to be done to cut down the chance of picking up diseases.

I sometimes don't understand the people who complain about being bored. I think it's just being lazy. There are not enough hours in a day and not enough days in a month for me to do all the stuff I want to do. I have no dull moments and I have no time to dwell on things that bother me. I've got 8 batches of wine sitting to be either filtered or even bottled. I have my aquariums to take care of, I plan my garden now and in the summer I work it. There is plenty of work in the yard, things to fix in and around the house. I write my books and promote them. If I have a bit of free time I go fishing, hunting in the Fall. When it snows I have to clean the driveway. I could go on.

All those people who complain they have nothing to eat or they live in a dump: How about planting a garden? How about raising rabbits for food? Or keeping a couple of goats for milk? We did that after the war in Europe. How about fixing the broken stuff in and around the house? How about cleaning up the yard and house? A coat of new paint does wonders. How about cooking instead of buying ready-made junk food? Make a soup, it's easy and doesn't cost much. Being busy keeps you from taking drugs or getting drunk or falling into a dark mood.

Sorry, got carried away.

Speaking of writing. My books #Codename Salamander and #Bullet of Revenge are on sale right now for $2.99 from my publisher Melange Books


Have a wonderful Sunday and a great week

No comments:

Post a Comment