Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A giant goldeye

Well, not exactly a giant, but I caught a Goldeye that's 39 cm (15.5 in) long. I'll be applying for a Manitoba Master Angler Award. The minimum length to qualify for an award for Goldeye is 35.5 cm (14 in). This is the first fish I'll be registering. Many years ago I caught a Black Crappy that was 14 inches long. The minimum length for an award is 12 inches. Unfortunately, this fish was caught in Ontario and didn't qualify in Manitoba. I can still prove I caught the fish, because it is hanging on the wall on a plaque in my basement. I'm not having this Goldeye mounted, it is too expensive, but I'm happy to finally have caught a fish I can get an award for. Instead of a mounted fish I'll have a certificate I can hang on the wall. Besides, I can still smoke this one and eat it.

I took a picture of the Goldeye. It has already been gutted and scaled, but it still looks good.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats. very nice fish. We were down by the river last night. I got a small goldeye and Roger a small pickerel. There was five of us and fishing was really slow.

    ReplyDelete