Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Icelandic Festival in Gimli, Manitoba

Last Sunday we drove to Gimli for the Icelandic Festival. We've been going the last couple of years. Walked through the Viking village and talked with the 'Vikings' about life a thousand years ago. It was quite informative and interesting. You have to be dedicated to sleep in those tents for a few nights. The nights are getting cooler now, but, as one of the 'Vikings' there told me, they were quite comfortable with their thick furs they use for bedding. People in those days lived surely primitive, but they were skilled in making their clothing, weapons, and other things they used in their daily lives. The pace was slower and people spent their time making useful things, not spend it yapping on their cell phones and watching TV, or sitting in front of their computer all day long. They didn't spent as much time shopping either, the way we do. They foraged what they needed from nature, or traded with others.

I'm not saying I would like to live like that, but it makes you think about values in our lives.

Like every year we went to the Country Boy Restaurant for lunch. It is still called that, but on the sign outside it says 'Diego's Kitchen. Authentic Latin America Cuisine. Now they serve enchiladas, tortillas, and other Mexican dishes.

We found out they have new owners, which means changes. It seems every time a place changes hands, the new owners have the desire to change things. Why would anyone want to change something that has proved to be good? The place used to be packed, this time it wasn't, while the burger stand next door couldn't handle all the customers. This was the Icelandic Festival. A chance to make money.

We ordered our usual: Pan fried pickerel (or walleye), with fries and salad. $10.95. Not a bad price.
What a disappointment! Instead of 2 filets, they way it used to be, we received 1. The outside was much too dark and crispy. We got less fries and a smaller portion of lettuce. They put pieces of Mango fruit into the lettuce. I like mango, raisins, nuts, cranberries, pineapple, oranges and other fruit. Even jello but not in my lettuce!!

I didn't go to Gimli on Lake Winnipeg to eat Mexican food. I wanted fish. After we finished eating, we checked out what the people next door ate. They did have 2 filets, nice and golden brown. I guess next year we'll go the Chris' Fish and Chips next door. We may have to wait in line but it'll be worth it.

We felt like eating ice-cream, but they wanted over $3.00 for a small cone. We went to Robin's Donuts across the street. I paid $2.39 for a big scoop of strawberry swirl soft ice-cream in a sugar cone.

The secret of making money in any business is not high prices. It is better to sell for less, make less profit on each item, give the customer a little more than he/she expects, and in the long run a business will make more money by selling more items. A savvy businessman knows that. Buyers always love bargains and they will flock to the place where they'll get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment