Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Banff, Alberta, 2013




The reason it’s been quiet on my blog for the past couple of weeks is simple. My wife and I took a little holiday. We traveled west to the Canadian Rockies. We left August 31st and came back Friday, September 13. Traveling through Manitoba and Saskatchewan is boring, according to my wife. Everything is flat. Nothing to see but fields and a few trees. I didn’t find it as boring as she did, but I have to admit it does get a bit tedious. But then again, I enjoy looking at the near fall colors, the partially harvested fields dotted with rolls of hay, and at the many potholes and small lakes along the highway in Saskatchewan, some of them holding many ducks and even a few geese. There are plenty of cattle grazing on the vast grasslands. That is beautiful in its own way.
We stayed overnight in Indian Head. Not much to see there. We had supper at the China Garden restaurant, but weren’t overly impressed with the food. The noodles were cold, there was no soup, and very little meat. I don’t care much for sweet and sour pork meatballs or deep-fried chicken balls. (I’m talking about breast meat here).
The next night we spent in Medicine Hat in Motel 6. The room we had was nice, but the breakfast was so-so. It’s very basic, no yogurt. You have to take your toast and coffee to your room. We had supper at the Thai Orchid Restaurant, which is within walking-distance. The food was great.
When we went for a walk in the evening we came across the oddest community. All the houses looked the same. The driveways were spotless, as was the street. The lawn was cut evenly throughout the community. And we saw no people. It was kind of eerie, like being in some spooky scene out of a Horror movie.
The next day we arrived in Drumheller, Alberta. We visited the Reptile Garden in the afternoon and had supper at Diana Restaurant (Chinese and Western) next door to the Econo Lodge where we stayed for a couple of nights. The prawns we had were tasty.
We spent most of the next day at Royal Tyrrell Museum. Drumheller is, of course, famous for its fossils. We saw plenty of dinosaurs. Skeletons and life-size replicas. I’m sure glad I didn’t live 70 million years ago. Those Tyrannosaurus Rex were fearsome looking beasts. The trip to the museum surely is a must when visiting Drumheller.
For supper that night we went to a small, old restaurant called Yavis Family Restaurant, in one of the small shopping strips. It was recommend by some woman we talked to. I had one of the best steaks. 10 oz steak, done the way I wanted it, with baked potato, large lettuce and desert for $14.95. And the pint of draft beer cost $4.75. How can you beat that?
The next day, Wednesday, September 4, we drove to Canmore, which is only 2 ½ hours away.
We didn’t push on this trip. I don’t like driving for too long and we like to stop on the way to look at things.
The mountains were awesome and impressive. We couldn’t get enough of looking at them. In Canmore we stayed at the Ramada Inn. We had a great room with 2 Queen beds. (We only needed one, of course). And the breakfast was the best. Eggs, sausages, yogurt, and all the other usual stuff, and more.
From Canmore we drove to other destinations, like Banff, Lake Louise, and other places. In Banff we took the gondola up the mountain and walked around at the top. And Lake Louise is a beautiful place. Unfortunately, it rained a little when we got there, but we still managed to walk around a bit. Lots of people there. A vast majority of the visitors were Asian.
The Universe we live in is a strange place. Sometimes the things we look forward to, just don’t turn out as expected. Before we left on our holiday I did some research into restaurants and other stuff. I had marked the Grizzly Paw Brewing Co. as a must-visit. I should have gotten the hint when I couldn’t locate it on my GPS. I finally found it when we drove by. Well, I had the worst steak in my life. It was cut like a wedge, thick on one end and as sharp as an axe on the other. Well-done to boot. And they charged $7.00 for a pint of beer. They are a brewing company, for Heaven’s sake! I expect cheaper beer. They did give me $8.00 off my steak when I complained, but that didn’t change my mind about the place. I cannot recommend it.
When we went up the mountain in the gondola, they took a picture of every visitor. They are trying to sell it to you for twenty bucks. We would have bought one for ten dollars, but not for twenty. That’s what happens when you’re greedy. I ran my own business most of my working life and I learned you can’t make all you money from one job. Charge less and you’re pretty much guaranteed to make that sale. Less profit but it pays out in the long run.
When we drove to Lake Louise, we stopped at Johnston Canyon and walked along a groomed trail to the falls. It’s about 1 km one way. I saw again, how some people just don’t give a crap about the environment. We found empty plastic bottles, cigarette butts, candy wrappers and other junk beside the trail. Who do these people think cleans it up? It’s a shame.
We left Canmore Monday, September 9. Our destiny Jasper and then Hinton, where we had booked a room for two nights at the Econo Lodge.
We stopped at various waterfalls. There is always something that makes you shake your head. At one of the falls three guys in their early twenties I guess displayed again the ignorance of some people. The climbed over the fence and walked onto the slippery rocks to look down at the boiling water below. They even sat on the rocks and dangled their legs over the edge. I filmed them, wondering if they would slip and fall to their death. They didn’t. We have a saying in Germany: God protects the ignorant and the idiots.
After the falls we visited the Columbia Icefields. Hard to believe those glaciers are still around. We took one of those special buses onto the Icefields. Sure, it’s impressive, but I figured $52.00 per person just to drive onto the ice, park there for 20 minutes and stand on the glacier (just ice, really), shivering in the cold and take pictures is a bit steep. But that is just my opinion. People tell me that I have to realize I’m standing on a glacier. That is the excitement. I’m excited.
All along the highway are signs to slow down because of wildlife crossing the road, like white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, moose, wolfs, wolverines, badgers, caribou, and bears: Grizzlies and black ones. And don't stop to feed them. Well, the only wildlife we saw were squirrels, a few crows, and a butterfly. I killed the butterfly when it hit my windshield.
But we finally did see a few mountain sheep near the highway on our last day when we drove from Jasper to Hinton.
In Jasper we took the tramway up Whistler Mountain. Then we climbed toward the top of the mountain. It doesn’t look steep or far away, but it is. We made it almost to the top. There were only a couple more hills. We decided not to climb any further. The view was fantastic and we took lots of pictures. We were lucky because of the beautiful clear day.
And it was quite warm at the top. We even got a small sunburn. We stayed a few hours. I found climbing down even harder than up. My knees were beginning to ache and by the time we reached the bottom (the station were you take the tramway down again), my legs were a bit wobbly.
We left Hinton Thursday, September 11, spent the night in North Battleford in the Best Canadian Motor Inn. It was a nice place. At first it doesn’t look like much because it is kind of hidden away and they were just fixing the road, but it was quiet and relaxing. They serve a descent breakfast.
Our last night was again in a Bed and Breakfast in Indian Head.The same place we stayed at on our first night. Supper at the Grand Inn Restaurant was good. I had an 8 oz steak, quite spicy, with a mountain of fresh lettuce. My wife had the Thai Chicken salad which she found a bit too spicy.  I also had 6 wings, since it was wing-night, but I could have done without them. They were dry with little meat. I don't see the excitement over chicken wings.
Friday, the 13th we drove home. Another boring drive, except for the excitement in Moosomin, Saskatchewan: We had a flat tire, but were lucky enough to get it fixed in Moosomin. There was a lot of construction going on along the highway for miles and miles sometimes which slowed driving down, but we weren’t in a hurry.
Coming home can be a bit of a letdown, but then again, I’m happy to be home. There is no better place than home. You only realize that when you’re there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment