Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Memories and Observations




A huge flock of geese flew over our property while I was picking cherry tomatoes in my garden today. I suddenly realized it was the 25th of September. It comes every year and it brings back sad memories. 34 years ago on the 25th of September 1979 my brother Arthur was killed in a plane crash at the age of 36. It was a Cherokee Piper aircraft. That’s why I don’t like small planes.

Thirty-four years seems like a long time, time to forget and wounds to heal. Some wounds never heal, some memories we never forget. Arthur was my best friend and I miss him terribly, especially now as I grow older. He would have been 70 years old this year on August 4. There would have been a celebration. He loved life and he loved people. He made friends easily and he had many friends. I miss his smile and his great sense of humor. I miss the good times we could have had together.

Why did the calling of the geese remind me of my brother? There is a song we used to sing together. It’s a German song: Wildgänse rauschen durch die Nacht, which translates into: Wild geese are flying in the night. There were other songs we played and sang, but this song was one of our favorites. So when I hear the geese calling in the sky at this time of year, I get melancholic for a while and remember my brother Arthur, wishing he were still alive and he could hear the geese calling.

We didn’t have this many geese in 1979. I’m talking about the Canada geese. They’ve multiplied and have almost become a nuisance. They are everywhere: In the parks, on the golf courses, in the retention ponds, on the rivers, and even in the cemeteries. In some places you have to be careful where you walk because of all the goose droppings. The flocks seem to be congregating in the cities, where they breed and hang out, because when you go out into the fields to hunt them, they are cautious and fly high. You can’t get near them. They are smart birds and know where they are safe. Eventually, something will have to be done to control their breeding. Some people will, of course, be against that. Those people have no idea what impact over-breeding of one species has on the ecosystem. The Snow geese, for instance, are estimated to be at around 15 million now. They have destroyed a huge part of the coastline on the Hudson Bay, because of their feeding habits. Much of those areas have changed from a healthy marsh into a wasteland where nothing grows. Many seabirds are threatened with extinction because of the Snow geese.

When we were on our holiday we stayed at a place in Indian Head, Saskatchewan. That lady, a farmer’s wife, suggested I come hunting Snow geese in Saskatchewan. The Snow geese are doing a lot of damage to the crops. They are in great numbers there. Too many. We used to have more in Manitoba, but for some reason they changed their flight path years ago and moved further west. Snow geese taste better than Canada geese.

I know, many people don’t believe we should hunt and kill animals, but they don’t seem to realize that hunting is part of life. Lions hunt antelopes, Wolves hunt deer, cats hunt for mice, Hawks hunt sparrows, and so on. Humans used to hunt to survive. Humans are carnivores. We eat vegetables and meat. That is a fact. Obviously, we can’t go and hunt for most of our food anymore, so we raise cattle, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and other food animals. Those animals need to be killed so we can eat their meat. We love our steaks and our roasts. We love chicken and hamburger. Hamburger meat doesn’t grow in a vat someplace, it comes from a cow. We love turkeys for Thanksgiving, which is just around the corner.

Some of us go hunting for deer, caribou, elk, moose, and other animals, because we enjoy eating venison, and because we enjoy the challenge of the hunt. We also enjoy the outdoors. People who condemn hunters, but don’t mind eating steaks, a good roast, fried chicken, hot dogs, or hamburgers, are, in my opinion, a little bit out of touch with reality. Humans are predatory animals and it is in the genes. If we don’t kill an animal we kill our fellow humans. Just watch TV and read the papers. The killing is all around us. People get robbed, they get shot, they get stabbed, and the wholesale killing in the wars we fight over religion, oil, and other insane reasons, speak louder than words. It will be a long time, if ever, until the lamb lies down with the lion without being eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment