Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A poem for Christmas



I said it before: I don’t consider myself a poet, but I do write the occasional poem, mainly for my wife. She is my inspiration. I usually write her one for her birthday, Valentine’s Day, Easter, and Christmas. I’ve written probably over 50 so far. When I told her I want to publish them, she said they belong to her and are not mine to publish. And I respect her wish, but sometimes I make an exception and publish one, like the poem I wrote for her for this Christmas. Here it is:

A Christmas poem for my wife

Christmas joy and Christmas cheer
Another Christmas Eve is here
We take stock of what we have
We may cry but also laugh

Many Christmases we now have had
Most were happy, some were sad
We remember loved ones, no longer here
We may even shed a little tear

But mainly we do celebrate
We eat chocolates and cookies from a plate
We drink coffee or a cup of tea
We enjoy spending time with our family

The children are waiting for Santa to arrive
The little one is four, going on five
There is no greater pleasure and joy
Than watching a child unwrap a new toy

Bows and ribbons are everywhere
It’s a bit messy, but we don’t care
Let’s have a drink, or maybe two
It’s Christmas Eve and I love you

The best present I ever received in my life
Was the day when you became my wife
You were all I ever needed my dear

Merry Christmas
and
Happy New Year

Writing a poem isn’t much different from writing a story. First, of course, I need a theme, but my heart has to be in it also. That’s why writing a poem for my wife is easy. 

Like I said, I’m not into poems and haven’t done any studies on how to write them. I’m sure there are rules. However, sometimes other writers publish their poems on the forums I visit and I must say, I’ve read some awful stuff. Some so-called poems don’t rhyme at all. The writers just write a string of words, sometimes unfinished sentences, and give them their own lines. This is an example of what I’ve seen (not exactly something I read. I made this one up, but it is close enough to give you an idea):


Ice, Water, cold
Must go swimming
Cold, cold, cold
Wet and strange
Clouds in the sky
Flowers and rain
Beauty everywhere
Snowflakes in the clouds
Fairies dancing
Blah...blah...blah...

Went out into the rain
Saw mud all over the place
Strange, how the sounds make echoes
Everywhere mud and water
Must write a poem about this
Wonderful experience with water
in the can and in the sky
Fell into a puddle
And got wet
And dirty
Crazy people watch
Must fly to Africa (Huh?)
The mantra of the world rests on my shoulders
And it is my calling to follow it
Blah...blah...blah.

I’m not kidding, I read similar stuff like that. It doesn’t make any sense and it doesn’t even rhyme, but then again, I’m not a poet. What do I know?


Merry Christmas to you all.

If anyone of you faithful readers is interested in reading more about poems, perhaps get a little chuckle, I wrote about this (much of it exactly the same stuff) on my book blog Herbert’s Place. I added a few things to it to make it a bit humorous. Couldn’t help myself. Here is the link: http://www.hegro.blogspot.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment