Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

About Platy, a Canary, and other happy things



 Looking back much has happened in 2013. I wrote about many things on my blog. Some were happy some sad. I’d like to close the year with a happy note. Nothing important in this little article, just something that brings me joy.

In October 2012 I bought a pair of Red Wagtail Platy. I put them into a separate 15 gallon tank and the female dropped a small batch of young on April 2nd, 2013. Five survived. She dropped another five about a month later, but all of them died. I don’t know why.

I removed the male from the tank and put him into my 100 gallon tank, but he didn’t live for long. It is possible he was already old. The female died not long after. The five little ones grew and one of the females dropped young in December. I didn’t record the exact day.

There is a mass of moss-like stuff growing in the tank. I have no idea what this plant is called and how it got in there, but I let it grow. It doesn’t do any harm and gives the young a place to hide.

Yesterday I counted 7 little ones. There could be more. I hope they survive. They should be large enough by now to escape from being eaten by their parents, uncles and aunts.

I have 4 catfish in the tank also, but they don’t bother the young Platy. Here is a picture of the tank. If you look close enough you’ll see a couple of young in the left hand corner close to the bottom.



Our little canary, Eddie, is also growing and singing up a storm. He was born at the beginning of August and isn’t even 5 months old yet. He is a strange little bird. The strangest we’ve had so far. Very demanding. If he doesn’t sings he complains about something, mostly his food. He loves his lettuce, apple, and broccoli for lunch and he sure can put away large chunks of these treats. He chirps loudly and continuously until he gets it.

For some reason he is quite content inside his cage. We have to force him to stay outside, because he is so reluctant to leave the safety of his cage. When my wife cleans the cage every morning, she opens the door. He sits in the doorway and just looks outside but doesn’t fly out. The only way we get him to be outside for a while is by lifting the cage off him. Then he reluctantly jumps off the counter to land on the floor. I mean jump not fly. He walks around the floor for a bit and then hops back into his cage, which we put onto the floor.

Today, however, he actually flew off the counter and flew around in the kitchen, not high, but at least he discovered he is a bird with wings. Finally, he flew back onto the counter and hopped through the open door into his cage. Then he started eating.

Talk about eating. We’ll be going out for supper tonight to celebrate New Year’s Eve. It’s a buffet and we will be dining on lobster, prawns, Muscovy duck breast, bacon wrapped beef tenderloin, herb roast chicken, and various salads. Should be great. Too bad I’m going into the New Year with a cold. I’m still coughing a little. Hopefully, I can keep it under control tonight. I’ve been looking forward to this supper all month.

I wish everyone a smooth transition into the year 2014 and hope you come back to read more about what I’m up to.

Don’t drink too much, stay healthy, and have a

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment