Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

We are back

It's been a while since I posted. There is a reason. We had enough of the snow and the cold and escaped for a couple of weeks. We went to Varadero, Cuba. Just came back a couple of days ago. We were lucky with the weather. Only one thunderstorm one night, the rest was sunshine and warm. The only downer was when we went home it rained. Unfortunately, those baggage handlers on the Varadero airport don't  seem to give a crap about the luggage of travelers. They left it out in the rain. Our clothing inside the suitcases was soaking wet. A bit disappointing. You'd think they have more respect for other people's property. After all,we travelers make their job a reality. The money we bring into the country pays their wages.

All in all, we had a nice holiday. We soaked up the sunshine, swam in the ocean, even got a little brown, and froze in our room, because the AC was running continuously. I'll be writing  a more detailed review later when I have more time.

As nice it is to get away, it is always nice to come back home, snow and everything. I am always grateful to live in a country like Canada where all things are possible. We have comfortable homes, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. We have our nice yards and gardens, even mosquitoes, and we are able to buy almost anything we want, be it clothing or food. Or medicines. We take it for granted, but most of these things are not available in so many countries. Okay, we have to work for everything, nothing is really free (for some people it is, but I won't go there), but we have the opportunity to earn a descent living. I consider myself lucky to be here.

Here are some pictures just so you know what it looks like without snow:

Playa de Oro, Varadero, Cuba

The pool

The beach early morning

Enjoying a drink

No comments:

Post a Comment