Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, February 28, 2014

#Quebec...Canada...#Language police...#freedom



Wow! I must say this is ridiculous, almost comical if it weren’t so serious. Nearly unbelievable at best. And this in the year 2014!

Eva Cooper, owner of a women’s clothing store in Chelsea, Quebec has a Facebook page...in English. Now those turkeys from the language police are demanding she translates her messages into French. If she doesn’t by March 10 she will face a fine. This smells of dictatorship, censorship, and violation of basic human rights. These guys are surely on some kind of power trip.

I live in Manitoba, Canada. I’m a Canadian. The last time I looked we still had freedom of speech (as limited as it may be in certain circumstances), and I can say what I want to say in any language. Be it on the street, at home, or on the Internet. If I had a business I could have a sign outside of my place written in English. As it happens, I write everything in English, but I could also put messages on my blog or Facebook page or Twitter in German, should I decide to do so. Or French or any other language. We have that freedom in Canada. People in many other countries that don’t speak English can do so also. I’ve been to Latin American countries where Spanish is spoken and I’ve seen many signs in English.

You can’t do that in Quebec. They have a language police! That’s right, you read that correctly. If you live in Quebec this doesn’t come as a shock. You’re living with them. Looking at the map, it appears that Quebec is in Canada, which makes the people living there Canadian Citizens...with all the rights Canadians are privileged to enjoy.

Everyone knows that every government on this Earth is trying to control the Internet. It irks those who want to control us that people all over this planet are able to communicate with each other, without being censured by some power-hungry politicians or even some giant Corporation. To some extent they have already managed to infiltrate the Internet and are spying on people, checking their emails and postings on media sites. As is evident with this case in Quebec. We all are aware of the big scandal a few months ago when some guy spilled the beans about the US government spying on leaders of other countries and the American citizens by listening in on phone calls and monitoring activities on the Internet.

This whole thing with the language control in Quebec is almost unbelievable in this day and age...in a so-called free country. If you run any kind of business, you want to reach as many customers as is possible. If you can expand your advertising using many different languages, you have a much greater reach and a larger base of potential customers. The Internet is a wonderful medium to reach people all over the world. Eva Cooper should be able to advertise in Chinese or Russian with her advertising. It is called FREEDOM. That’s what it means to live in a free country, to be able to do choose what you say and write in any way and language you wish.

Even though Quebec is a Canadian province, Quebecers are not enjoying the freedom that is the right of every Canadian.

Shame on the politicians in the Quebec government!

And to the person who complained to the language police about the website of Eva Cooper, I’d like to say: Shame on you also. You are a meddler, a troublemaker, and a jerk. It is because of people like you that the world we live in is in such sad state. Think about that! But you’re probably too stupid to even realize what you’ve done and what you’re doing and you’re probably feeling really smug right now for causing such havoc with another person’s life. Get a Life yourself!

On a more positive note, it looks like March is coming in like a lamb. Unfortunately, it means it will go out like a lion. I’m really looking forward to that .

To my faithful readers: Sorry for ranting again. Have a nice day, call a friend or send them an email and tell them you love them. The world is still full of good people who mind their own business and we must not get discouraged by the morons and would-be dictators who live among us. Those people who want to ruin our lives by fulfilling their own sick desires, without caring about the feelings of their fellow human being.

Come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment