Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Nothing is perfect

What a bummer! Today is Christmas Eve and I have a cold. It started yesterday with a burning sensation in the back of my throat. At first, I thought it was just because of the dry air in the house, but that was not the problem. I had to face it: I have a cold.

My wife and I are always careful when we go shopping or eating in a restaurant. We wash our hands and use disinfectant on our hands, and yet, you just can't escape these viruses. So many people are careless; they don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom; they cough and sneeze into the air without covering their mouths, and they touch everything. If somebody has a bad cold, they should stay home for at least a couple of days and not go into public places, but, of course, that is easier said than done. Not always possible.

So I spent my day yesterday  chewing cough candies to sooth my rough throat and drinking water until I busted. My bladder and kidneys had to work overtime. They probably wondered what was going on. Sometimes I neglect drinking water during the day. Last night I took a pill and I don't feel too bad today, except for that annoying cough. I took some cough syrup and  I hope I can keep the coughing under control. The kids are coming over to celebrate Christmas and I have to be in good shape, and I don't want to pass on this cold.

I  remember one Christmas. My grandson was about two years old. He had a cold, just a little one. There were pretzels in a bowl and he kept on taking some, but he didn't eat them. He licked off the salt and then he gave the pretzels to me. I ate them. After all, he is my grandson, right? So he had a cold, big deal. He was just a little guy; how many germs can he transmit? I found out the hard way. I never though it was possible to get a bad cold from a little kid. A few days after Christmas, just in time for New Year's Eve,  I came down with one of the worst colds anyone can get. I was as sick as a dog. The fault was totally mine not his. I should not have eaten those pretzels. He meant well, wanted to feed his Opa. Now the shoe is on the other foot; I'm the one with the cold and I have no intentions of infecting anyone else, especially not one of the grandchildren. I would feel terrible.

Anyway, I hope anyone reading this is healthy and stays that way. I'm getting ready to eat some ham and dumplings, with red cabbage. And drink a nice glass of wine.

Merry Christmas and Peace to all.

1 comment:

  1. All kinds of stuff going around out there. Norma has this dry cough that she can't get rid of. Good during the bay but after supper it starts. Merry Christmas to everyone. PS --- I passed on your Christmas Concert post to my Brother and Sister and they both said it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete