Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Soon it will be #Christmas



Wow, how time flies. In 4 days it’s Christmas Eve. We still celebrate Christmas in our old European tradition...on the 24th of December, on the Eve of Christmas.

We’ve been busy shopping for presents for the kids and, mostly, for the grandchildren, and it’s been hectic. In a way I am always glad when Christmas finally arrives and we can take a bit of a breather. I think many people are, especially the ones who have to work in the stores.

Christmas is such an important season for the stores. They all hope to cash in on the buying frenzy. Everyone knows the only reason for all that buying is Christmas. Without Christmas we wouldn’t have all this hustle and bustle, but there are forces out there who want to ban the word Christmas. They are trying so hard to change it into Winter holiday, Winter fest, the Season, Winter concert, etc. Case in point is the Winter concert we went to last week at one of the Schools in Winnipeg. Unfortunately, most people seem to have forgotten what Christmas is really about.

However, there are still places where Christmas is acknowledged. We went to a Catholic School on Thursday to watch a Christmas play put on by the children. It was so refreshing to see that. Most of the time I was a little choked up when I saw the children playing their part with such enthusiasm and hear them singing Christmas songs. I have no idea why I felt like that. Perhaps I’m getting to be a silly, sentimental old fool.

Christmas is not just for Christians who celebrate the birth of Jesus; it is a time for reflection, for examining our beliefs, for giving and sharing, and to be grateful for what we have. It is a time to spend with our families, a time to teach our children to love and not to hate. I am grateful for my children. I love my grandchildren and there is no greater feeling in the world than hearing them say, “Opa, I love you.”

Children are so precious and it is difficult to understand how anyone would want to hurt them. 132 children murdered by religious fanatics in Afghanistan, 8 children stabbed to death by their mother/aunt. How can anything like that happen? What makes people commit such horrific acts? When I hear news like that I want to cry, because I think of my own children and grandchildren.

Are these people crazy? Is anyone who commits murder crazy? What about that Luka Magnotta who is on trial right now for murdering and cutting up another young man? The jury can’t come to a decision. Seems to me there are some bleeding hearts among them. Of course, people who commit heinous acts like murder are crazy. They are not normal. There is no question about that, but that does not give them a free license to commit murder. They need to be punished, not pitied. They need to be put in jail for the rest of their natural lives or, preferably, executed. They have no place in our society and need to be removed from it. They are crazy and can never be rehabilitated and they are a danger to society. Putting them into a mental institution is not going to help. You cannot rehabilitate a psychopath. That is my opinion.

Well, enough of this. I hope I’ll find the time to post more before Christmas. Only good stuff, though. In case I don’t, I wish everyone

#Merry Christmas, joy and love, and, most of all, Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment