Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

#The rusty Dishwasher Rack

Everyone who owns a dishwasher has probably had to deal with a rusty rack. By rust I mean the tips of the tines are wearing off and start to get rusty. Not good for the dishes, because the rust spots may transfer to the dishes. We have a Maytag dishwasher. According to the commercials, when you have a Maytag dishwasher you never have to worry about problems. Well, like every promise you get these days, that is not true. The bottom rack of our dishwasher was showing rust already after a few months. We have a well and our water is hard, but we also have a water softener. My wife adds vinegar to the rinse cycle once-in-awhile. Nothing helps; the rust appears.

We had the rack replaced, but the new one has a terrible design. The basket for the cutlery is in the front and there is little room for dishes in the rest of the rack, and we wished we would have just kept the old rack, because this new one didn't last very long until the first rust spots showed up.

Not wanting to buy a new rack, because they are over $100.00 and probably won't last either, I did a search on the internet. A rusty rack is nothing unusual, and many people complained about it. I found a product that actually worked, it is called #ReRACK and we managed to locate it at our local #Home Hardware Building Center in Selkirk. It was the last package, so we bought it, even though it cost $20.00 plus 13% Tax. Apparently, it is cheaper in the USA. We didn't check any other stores, except for Canadian Tire, but they don't carry it. They should, because it could be a good seller if people are made aware this product exists.

It comes in a small bottle and is liquid vinyl. You brush a few coats onto the tip of the tines after cleaning them with fine sandpaper and rubbing alcohol. We waited 30 minutes between coats, as suggested, and after the last coat we waited another 24 hours before using the dishwasher. So far so good. We'll see how long the vinyl tips last.

Here is a picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment