Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, December 9, 2017

A wonderful Christmas concert



This past Thursday we went to the Club Regent Theatre in Winnipeg to watch ‘A Prairie Christmas’ with the #Nadeau Emsemble. Two women played the harp and a man played a variety of old string instrument that looked quite complicated. One of them sounded like the Scottish bagpipes. What a great performance! No screaming voices and no blaring steel guitars that make your chest vibrate and your eardrums wanting to burst.

The women didn’t just play the harp, they also sang along. Both women had lovely, sweet voices that blended perfectly with the sound of the harps. It was a wonderful and enjoyable evening. I never knew a harp sounded very much like a piano.

Too bad the show wasn’t sold out. People don’t seem to be interested anymore in these kind of performances, where you can sit back, close your eyes and be transported into a world of peace and quiet solitude. They’d rather flock to shows performed by bands like the Tragically Hip and similar groups. I’ve never enjoyed shows where you can’t understand the words, because they are screamed into a microphone and where the instruments are played so loud you can’t hear yourself think. I don’t like people waving their hands in the air in front of me so I can’t see the stage anymore.

We went to a Winter Concert from School. They used to call them Christmas Concerts. Not anymore. In this political climate we are living in, we mustn’t offend all those minorities that don’t believe in Christmas. They played one ‘Song’ with drums I thought would never end, one with nothing but electronic music, and one song by Zeppelin with loud instruments and a guy singing. According to my son he did a great imitation. I couldn’t wait for the evening to end to give my ears a rest.

Whatever happened to those singers with the melodic, resonant voices instead of those flat voices you hear these days?

It seems to be a sign of the times. Nobody has time anymore to sit and relax, to contemplate life and enjoy the silence; to listen to their inner voice. Everything has to be loud and hektic. You hear it in the music and in every part of life. When I watch people walking around with their I-phones in their hand, constantly checking for who knows what, texting while they cross the street, while they stand in line at the cashier, or sitting in a doctor’s office. I’ve seen them playing games on their gadgets while fishing. I watched a man with his two children in a restaurant. Instead of paying attention to his children, he was occupied with his cell phone, completely ignoring his kids. What is happening? Where are we heading? People seems to be more nervous than ever; they suffer from mental problems and from stress. Perhaps putting away their phone and just having a nice conversation with the people they are with might help a lot or going to a concert like the one we just enjoyed.

Many people reading this will not agree with me. My son is a fan of the Tragically Hip. I guess I’m just an old-fashioned guy, a dying breed. Maybe in a hundred years, if we haven’t managed to destroy this worlds with everyone on it, things will be different. Perhaps people will enjoy classical music again and appreciate voices and music performed by groups like the Nadeau Ensemble.

No comments:

Post a Comment