Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, October 5, 2018

Caviar

I caught a few Sauger, which are a subspecies of Walleye, only smaller. We have lots of them in the Red River north of Winnipeg. All the fish I caught were females loaded with eggs. My wife loves caviar so we made some. It is super easy to make and takes hardly any time at all.
Recipe:
Remove the eggs from the sac (just slice the sac with a sharp knife and scrape out the eggs).
Rinse the eggs under cold water in a fine sieve.
Put the eggs into a salt brine (1/4cup coarse salt to 1 cup of water -depends how many eggs there are-).
Refrigerate for 20 minutes, and then put into a fine sieve to drain the salt water.
Taste eggs, if they are too salty rinse in cold water.
Leave eggs in sieve and put sieve over small container to drain more. Refrigerate container with the eggs in the sieve for 2 hours.
After two hours the caviar is ready to eat. ( It will be salty, but caviar is like that)
Eat on crackers.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment