Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Another fishing trip

I went fishing yesterday with my friend Rudi and Cousin Manfried. It was a good day, sunny and warm. The forecast for wind was favorable. We were after Goldeye. When we got to the boat launch we found the water level in the Winnipeg River low. The water was calm and I didn't bother with my Gravol, which I carried in my pocket, just in case.

Because of the lower water level there were strange currents in the river. Some stretches were calm and others wild with whitecaps. A took my Gravol after all. Why take chances.

Fishing was not good. Couldn't locate the Goldeye. They were probably there, but we found dead fish-flies floating on the water, which meant the fish had plenty of food and they could not be enticed to take our offering of night-crawlers. A little mishap which gave us a bit of concern: We ran onto a sandbar because of the low water. They can't be seen until you're on top of them. Even though we had a depth finder, also called 'fish'finder', we managed to get stuck on a sandbar in the middle of the river. We finally got free and with careful maneuvering Rudi found the way back to deeper water. Once, back on land, we discovered the propeller on the motor had been damaged, that's why the motor had been laboring a little on our way back to the boat launch. It could have turned our badly.

I've never seen the river like that. Calm water and then a sharp line like a drop off, and wild, churning water. Here is a picture what it looked like, but the reality was much more impressive, even a bit scary. It was like riding the rapids in a fast flowing river:


Those are not boulders, they are high waves. The white line you see is my fishing line with a red bobber at the end. Beneath the bobber is the hook with the worm.

I took a few more pictures. One with a mother loon and her baby and one of a mother deer with her fawn.







After trying all day for Goldeye, unsuccessfully, we switched gears and tried our luck for Pike. We caught a few Pike and a couple of Perch but didn't keep them.

This picture is from our last fishing trip to the Big Whiteshell Lake. A much more successful day.

A live-well full of Walleye and Perch

8 Northern Pike. Just the right size for eating.







My Cousin Manfried caught a 57 cm long Walleye, which we had to release again because it was too large to be kept. A couple of Walleye we kept were around 40 cm long.

Manfried with his 57 cm Walleye

No comments:

Post a Comment