Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

#Summer Flowers



It’s Sunday today and I thought instead of venting my disgust about what’s going on in the world, I might just post something nice and uplifting. Aside from all the mosquitoes, July is a good month to enjoy what the outdoors has to offer. Everything in my garden is growing. We’ve been eating fresh lettuce for some time now. There are many small peppers already on the plants. The tomato plants are loaded with small fruit, and the Swiss Chard, the Red Beets, and all the other vegetables the deer dined on are actually recovering nicely. Last night we had our first meal featuring Swiss Chard. Anyone who has never eaten Swiss Chard, let me tell you it is delicious. It is the alternative to Spinach. I used to grow Spinach, but it doesn’t last long in the garden and when the weather gets hot Spinach shoots out and goes into seeding. That’s the end of Spinach for eating.

My wife strips the leaves of the Swiss Chard from the stem, boils the leaves. Then she gently fries up oil, flour and onions (I believe you call that ‘blanching’). She adds that to the boiled Swiss Chard for flavor. You need a lot of Swiss Chard to make enough for a meal. That’s why this kind of food is never available in a restaurant. It would be too expensive.

We eat the Swiss Chard with fried eggs, Wieners, and mashed potatoes. To add a bit more flavor to the Chard we add some ‘Maggi’ to it. Soya sauce would be okay, too.

Many flowers are blooming now in the garden. Some are already finished, though, but new ones are opening up. We haven’t seen too many butterflies this year. I don’t know why. Last year we had so many when the lilacs were in bloom. None this year.

Here are a few pictures to lift your spirit:

Flowers on Russian Blue Potato plant

Picture of a lovely lily

A splash of colors on lilies

A yellow lily

Part of our yard



For more flowers go here: Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment