Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

The #Deer came back

We weren't home and they came back. Everybody told us they would, because once deer know where good food is they remember. This time they finished the job. They ate most of the remaining beets, they ate all the Swiss Chard, a few beans, and the Kohlrabi. They also ate the top leaves of my cucumber plants, which I had been so proud of.

The deer were so bold, they walked around the yard, trampled across my wife's flower beds. Fortunately, they didn't do any damage there, except for leaving their footprints, I mean hoof prints, which was bad enough.

I had come home from a day-fishing trip and I was tired, but I needed to protect the rest of the garden and what was left of the vegetables. So I pounded stakes into the ground and stapled some plastic grids, some  Stucco wire and what ever I had to cover up the plants. I was finally done by 10:00 p.m. The mosquitoes were fierce. I wore a headnet and sprayed myself with spray, but those pesky critters still swarmed all around me, buzzing into my ears. Why...why...would anybody create mosquitoes?

The problem now is, I still have to do quite a bit of weeding. That will be difficult with all that stuff covering up the beds. Now I have to take it apart again and then put it back.

Tonight I'm going to put up a camera to see if they come back during the night or what time of day they arrive when we are not home.

We should get a big dog, which really isn't an option for me. I don't care much for dogs. They bark and need to be taken for a walk every  day, especially the kind we would need. Too much trouble. I wish there would be mechanical dogs, like dog robots, that could be used to guard a garden, a yard, or a house. They would bark when they detect an intruder, maybe even chase them away, but they wouldn't need any other care, like feeding and walking them.

Of course, there is another option: No garden. No work, no worries, but no fresh vegetables, like those delicious tomatoes, peppers, beans, tasty cucumbers....NO! That is not an option. The fight is on against Mother Nature. Who will win the battle?

No comments:

Post a Comment