Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Phone call



The other day I received a phone call from someone claiming to be from some service company. I didn’t catch the name. He gave me his name and employee number. He was a computer technician and he asked if I remembered him. I said I didn’t. He said he was going to help me with my computer. When I told him there was nothing wrong with my computer, he said this was just some information I needed in case there was something going to be wrong with my computer. This was just an after-service call. Then he asked if I was at my computer and if it was turned on. I said yes. He assured me we wouldn’t have to go on the internet.

When I asked again what this was all about he told me it a service his company performed. Then he asked me to check my cable. Oh, I forgot to mention he spoke with a heavy India accent.

Anyway, this is how the conversation went:
Me: What should I look at?
Him: Look at the left bottom. Do you see the letters ctrl?
Me: No.
Him: Just look at the left bottom corner. Do you see it?
Me: I see nothing. Should I look behind the monitor? Or where should I look?
Him: No, no, not behind the monitor. Look at the left bottom corner of your cable.
Me: Is this some kind of a joke?
Him: No joke. I am just trying to tell you what to do when you need to find out if your computer is working.
Me: My computer is working. Why would I look at the cable for that?
Him: Why don’t you understand what I’m saying? Look at the left bottom corner of your cable. Do you see the letters ctrl?
Me: I don’t see anything. There is nothing there.
Him: (frustrated): Just look at the left corner of you cable.
(I finally did see the letters Ctrl. On my Keyboard. In the left bottom corner.)
Me: I found the letters. They are on my keyboard.
Him: That’s what I said: Cable.
(It still sounded like Cable to me and I suddenly felt I was talking to Inspector Clouseau, except this guy didn’t have a French accent but Indian)
Me: Okay. What now?
Him: Just press down on Ctrl and (I forgot which other button he said).
(At this point I disconnected the internet cable from the cable box)
Me: Okay. I pressed them.
Him: Do you see...? (It was some kind of box that popped up)
Me: Yes.
Him: Now write these letters into the box. (He dictated a few letters.)
Me: I did, but all I get is this message: Windows cannot find the file. What should I see?
Him: (obviously frustrated now): Not that. Type those letters again.
By this time I was done playing around and I said: “Listen. You may be legitimate or not. I don’t know what this is all about. My computer is working fine and if I have trouble I’ll take it to a technician. Thank you and good bye.” Then I hung up.

Now, this guy might have been on the up and up and maybe from the company I bought my computer from. But why don’t they use people who speak English without an accent so they can be understood. I have enough trouble hearing without listening to someone who can’t speak proper English and trying to decipher what he’s saying. I get annoyed when I call the bank or some government or public place and someone answers with a heavy French or even a Bahama accent, never mind an accent from India. When I press that ‘For Service in English press One’ button I expect someone who speaks proper English.

Talk about the French accents: I have no problem with that when I call some place in Quebec but not in the rest of Canada. Contrary to what our politicians try to tell us, the rest of Canada is not bi-lingual. We speak mostly English. In Manitoba the Mother tongue of people is 75% English, 6% German, and only 3.9% French. That does not make a bi-lingual province.

Here are some statistics:
Percentage of Ethnic backgrounds in Manitoba: (the numbers are approximate):

English - 22%
German - 19%
Scottish - 18%
Ukrainian - 15%
Irish - 13%
French - 13% 
The rest of the Ethnic groups are under 10%.

If nothing else, the second language in Manitoba should be German.

No comments:

Post a Comment