Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Disaster strikes




The only white I still wanted to see this year until next winter was the chokecherry tree in bloom. It happened and the tree looks beautiful. I managed to cut off all the diseased branches, but some of the main stems are affected and eventually our\ beautiful tree will die. Until then we’ll enjoy it.

The white I’m talking about is the snow we got last night. Not much, but enough to cover the grass. It all melted away during the day. What worries me is the drop in temperature. It is supposed to go down to minus 6C tonight. Our ornamental crab-apple tree is also in full bloom. It looks more gorgeous than ever. Last year we had only a few blooms on the tree. My question now is will the blooms on both trees freeze and fall off tonight? That would be such a shame.

This whole weekend was not nice. First we had rain and then in the evening came the snow, accompanied by high winds. The wind was so strong it blew over one of our birdhouses. The pole broke off at the bottom and toppled over. I’m not crying that much over the birdhouse itself. It was old and I had in mind to build a new one this year, but now the pole is broken off. I don’t know if I want to dig a deep hole into the ground to secure the pole again, but if I want the second birdhouse I have no choice.

Fortunately, there were no birds in the birdhouse. They are all nesting in the other one. I guess this one was too old for them. Who wants to move into a slum area if you have the choice to move into an almost new home? Now I worry about the birdhouse that is still standing. I just rebuilt it a couple of years ago and it won’t survive a fall to the ground. It is too heavy for that.  I think I’ll put up a guy-wire to secure the pole from the north winds. It may help.

Luckily, no casualties

No comments:

Post a Comment