Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, October 9, 2015

A Good Day of Fishing

I went fishing early this morning and I can't complain. It was cold, minus 1C, and a thick layer of fog covered the river. Fog was all around and you could only see the outlines of trees on the other side of the river. I was at my spot at 7:30 AM and didn't catch anything for a while, but then I caught a small  Sauger, which I kept. I didn't want to stay too long because it was shopping day and I had in mind to leave at 8:00 AM. My second fish was a little larger, but then I hooked into something big. I knew it was not a small fish by the way my line was pulled under the water. When I brought my catch closer to shore, I began to worry. Would my line hold? Would I be able to flip the fish on shore? The line held and I managed to pull the fish out of the water and swing it onto the rocks. The fish was hooked well. It was a Walleye, one of the ones everyone going to that particular stretch of the river wants to catch. Most of the fish we catch there are Sauger. Smaller than Walleye but just as good an eating fish. There were a couple of other fishermen beside me and they were as ecstatic as I was. One guy said, "I fished that spot since 6 o'clock and I didn't catch that one."

Well, my friend, that's how the cards fall, in this case that's how the fish bite. It happened to me many times. I fish for an hour and a new guy or woman comes along and catches a big one within the first five minutes. It is the case of being in the right spot at the right time. Fishing takes some skill but also a lot of luck. This time I was the lucky one. My Walleye measured 52cm and weight at around 3 1/2 pounds. It provided me with 500 g of fillets. A nice meal for my wife and me.

This made up for the bad luck I had a couple of weeks ago when I broke 2 of my good reels.

It doesn't qualify for a Master Angler Award, but it is still a nice trophy for me. I feel lucky.  

No comments:

Post a Comment