Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, October 12, 2015

#Happy Thanksgiving

We are celebrating Thanksgiving in Canada today. Over the years some Thanksgivings were nice with good weather, but this year it isn't. Yesterday we had such a beautiful day but that changed over night. It rained and we  had high winds, apparently up to 100 km/hr. I believe that, because our yard, which I had already cleaned, was covered with branches from the Willows. Thank you, Mother Nature, for creating all this work for me. I already have a huge pile of branches to burn on my garden. We covered that pile last night with a tarp to keep the wood dry, but the strong winds blew off part of the tarp and half of the former dry woodpile is wet now. On top of the bad weather it also turned cold. About an hour ago I checked and it was 5C.

However, that won't deter us from celebrating Thanksgiving. The kids are coming over this afternoon and we'll have our traditional turkey dinner with red cabbage and other good stuff.

We have good reason to be thankful. My garden produced well this year. Tomatoes where, well, so-so, but we had plenty of peppers, beans, red beets, and even some potatoes. No carrots and not many cucumbers.

I've also been successful with my fishing. We've eaten our share of Walleyes and Sauger. I even managed to catch a few Goldeyes, which are in the freezer for the meat to become firm. As soon as it gets colder I'll start smoking them.

Our trip to Germany was also a success. We saw many nice places, ate good German food and drank lots of German beer. As enjoyable as the trip was we are happy to be home again and we appreciate all the good things we have in this country.

So I'd like to wish everyone who reads my blog

                                                  Happy Thanksgiving

Be grateful for what you have. Enjoy the freedom and abundance we have in this country, but don't take it for granted. Who knows how long it will last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment