Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Killing of an #Elephant

Yesterday in the news they reported another senseless killing of an animal in Africa. This time a beautiful Bull Elephant, apparently shot by a German Trophy Hunter. Why would anyone kill an Elephant? The sale or even importing of ivory is illegal. You don't eat the meat. Besides, where is the sport in hunting Elephants?

I am a hunter, but I don't go on Trophy hunts. I hunt animals like deer, and when I'm fortunate to get one I take home the meat to eat. No different from buying meat in a store. Beef, pigs, chickens, and other animals that are raised for consumption also have to be killed to harvest the meat. That's how the world was designed. We all need to eat to stay alive, and I am not a vegetarian. Humans are not vegetarians. There are predators and there is prey. Predators have their eyes in the front so they can judge the distance from them to their prey. Prey, like deer, rabbits, other rodents, and most birds, have their eyes on the side of their head so they can spot their hunters more easily to give them a chance to escape. That's life. Sometimes it isn't pretty. Anyone ever watching the nature channels must have at one time or other watched a lion or other large cat chase and catch an antelope. It is brutal but reality.

Anyway, even as a hunter I cannot condone the senseless killing of an elephant, a lion, a tiger or any other exotic, usually on the verge of extinction, animal. There is no pride in that but only shame. It is not an accomplishment or great feat. How can you even miss a large target like an elephant?

I took this picture in the Berlin Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment