Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Beware

Beware - such an ominous word. It awakens expectations of mystery and may possibly even be some kind of warning - Beware.

Well, there is nothing mysterious here, but maybe a little bit of a warning. I went shopping yesterday at The Real Superstore and bought 190 grams of Roasted and unsalted Cashews. The ticket on the bin said $1.72 for 100 grams. The cashier charged me around $2.70 per 100 grams. I paid over $5.00 for them. I didn't notice it until I got home. I can buy 325 grams in a can at Walmart for $4.00, that comes to $1.23 per 100 grams. I paid more than double for the same kind of nuts. I'm not blaming the cashier for the mistake. She just punched in the numbers from the bin (You have to write them onto a ribbon and attach it to the bag). I copied them correctly. It looks as if the cash register wasn't programmed with the advertised price. This is not the first time this happened to us. Teaches me a lesson again: Remember your prices, keep an eye on the register, and check your bill before you leave the store.

Now I have to go back and complain. Well, there may be one good side to this. According to the policy of many stores, Superstore included, if a mistake has been made you get any item under $10.00 for free. I will claim that policy.

Mistakes like this don't happen only at the Superstore.

A few years ago I bought 2 indoor grills at Walmart. They were advertised as $24.95 on the shelf. I remember comparing the grills with another brand of the same price, which means I didn't make a mistake. I checked the code numbers very carefully. I decided to buy a couple. When I went to pay for them, I chatted with the cashier, not paying attention what she punched in. When I got home I discovered she charged me $39.95 for each grill. I drove back immediately. When I complained, the lady at the counter called the department to confirm the price I claimed. Then she told me the grills were never advertised for $24.95. So I went to the shelf to check it myself, and lo and behold, the sticker was gone. Too bad I never took a picture. I swore then and there I would carry a camera with me when I went shopping. I haven't, but it would be a good idea. I told her I didn't want two grills, but I kept one, because we needed it. Our old one was not working anymore.

I was not a happy customer that day. I knew I had not made up the price. My only explanation to myself was that the grill may have been on sale, but the sale was finished and they had neglected to remove the stickers. But to tell me outright they had never been sold for that price really ticked me off. I hate to be lied to and taken advantage of. Without proof I had no leg to stand on. Another lesson to be learned: Make certain you can back up your claim. If it means taken pictures then that's what needs to be done.

Happy Shopping, but - Beware!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, especially at this time of year you really have to keep a eye on things. Also watch for people who seem to be watching you at the till. I had a guy behind me holding a bag of chips up high while I was using my card. When I turned around he ate some chips but he was holding it like a camera and I thought afterwards it was kind of funny. No sure but had a funny feeling. Norma saw him and was giving him a dirty look and Norma said he just kept watching me put my pin in. As we talked about it on the way home I decided to go to the bank and change my pin. You never know always better to be safe. Same with the bill as you say check it always. Sad but it happens more often than not. Things are not programed into the computer or get scanned wrong. Beware.. yes.

    ReplyDelete