Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Getting the flu-shot




Last week we got our flu-shot. Been getting it for years. I believe in it, but there are still plenty of people who don’t think it necessary. They all have their own reasons, some are just stubborn, but so many are misinformed.

For instance, there is the misconception that you can get the flu from the flu-shot. That is not true, because the vaccine is made from dead viruses. You can’t get the flu from them. Some individuals are against any form of vaccination. They won't even let their children be immunized. I consider that irresponsible and almost a form of child abuse. Children have died from those childhood diseases. If they get them as adults those diseases can be fatal. The reasoning of these people is incomprehensible to me. They say  they won't put poison into their holy, clean bodies, but at the same time they smoke tobacco or dope, drink alcohol, take drugs, drink coffee, or cover their bodies with tattoos. If that isn't poison I don't know what is.

Every year over 200 000 people are hospitalized in the US because of the flu and nearly 35 000 die from the flu. Many of those would have lived had they gotten the flu-shot. There is no excuse for not getting vaccinated. It doesn’t hurt and flu-shots are available in hospitals, at clinics, and at doctor’s offices. Even in some pharmacies. It is free for pensioners in Canada. I don’t understand why people take the risk of becoming infected with the flu-virus when it so easily preventable.

It reminds me of certain religious groups who refuse to get blood transfusions. They claim it is against God’s will. That to me  is just plain crap. If it were against God’s will he wouldn’t make it available. That is the same with the flu-shot.

I think it is a crime not to take any advantage that is given to us to stay healthy. And getting the flu-shot is one way of staying healthy. For most people, anyway. It is irresponsible to take such chances. People who get the flu are a health risk to others. They may give it to somebody who just may die from it. I for one won't take that chance.

Today, while sitting in a waiting room, I read something I don’t agree with. I’ve heard this many times before: You don’t get a cold when your body gets wet and chilled.
That’s like saying: You don’t die when you jump off a high building.

Any idiot knows it is not the jump that kills you but when you hit the ground. That is the same with getting a chill. If I don’t wear something on my head when I go outside in cold weather and I get a chill, I can bet that within a short time I come down with a cold. Always. It is not something psychosomatic, that’s just the way it is with me. And I bet there are many people out there that have the same experience. I know it is not the chill that gives me the cold, but getting chilled acts like a catalyst. I’m not a doctor or researcher to explain why, but I figure when I get chilled my body defences are down and open the door to the bacteria or viruses that cause colds or the flu to attack my body. So to prevent this I cover up my head to keep it warm.

We had miserable weather today. It snowed. I would have stayed home if we didn’t have an appointment. Driving was treacherous and slow, but we got there in time. Looks like tomorrow I’ll have to clean my driveway again. Ahh, winter is so much fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment