Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Physiotherapy...does it work?




Most people have back pain. Back pain has many different causes. Most is probably caused by straining a muscle or by an accidents. If the cause is just a pulled muscle or ligament, the pain usually goes away with massage or  by applying heat, and rest, but the pain caused by an injury is more difficult to treat. When you go to a chiropractor he will tell you your back is out of line and crack it, a doctor will subscribe painkillers. They may help temporarily, but they never fix the problem.

Because of my job as an Electrician working on construction, I was more likely to be injured than someone working in an office. I had to lift heavy coils of wire, electric panels, and other heavy stuff. I also spent plenty of time on top of a ladder. Ladders are great to climb if you want to reach high places, but they are also a great danger. When you use a piece of equipment all the time, you get careless. I can’t count the many times I fell off a ladder, even though I took care to make sure the ladder was standing on solid ground. Unfortunately, the ground isn’t always solid, not on construction sites. A ladder slips, or just collapses, when it isn’t standing properly. One time when my ladder collapsed under me as I bent away too far from it, I fell from about 6 feet onto my back. I hit my head on the, fortunately, wooden floor, but I landed on the handle of my hammer which was hanging from my belt. My whole body ached for days, but I didn’t find out till much later when I went to the chiropractor that one of my vertebrates had been pushed forward. Nothing he could do about that, and it wasn’t severe enough to be operated on. Not that I would have wanted to do that.

It caused me a lot of pain. I kept going back to the chiropractor and took painkillers when it got too bad. It was bearable, though. You get used to pain and I was able to deal with it. However, about 4 years ago the pain became worse, for whatever reason. My wife and I used to go for our daily walk, which became nearly impossible for me to do. I walked maybe a hundred meters when a switch seemed to turn on the pain in my back and leg, making it hell to walk. Manipulation by my chiropractor did nothing, acupuncture did nothing. My doctor told me to take ‘Tylenol for Arthritis’ 3 times a day. It did nothing for me except make my head feel funny. Besides, I don’t like taking all this medicine. Logic tells me that it can’t be good in the long term. Any pills you take have to be processed by your stomach, your intestines, your kidney, and by your liver. Medicine is not natural to our bodies, just like taking drugs, drinking too much alcohol, and smoking, isn’t healthy. There are consequences, usually unpleasant.

I’ve been going for Physiotherapy for a few weeks now, and I must say, I am pleasantly surprised by the results. My Physiotherapist doesn’t fuss much, but whatever she does, seems to be the right thing. First I get heat applied to my back and thigh. After that she massages my thigh and buttocks. It hurts when she does it, but I feel good afterwards. I also do a bunch of stretching exercises. I’ve been doing most of them already for years, but she gave me a few tips and I followed them. It is important to stretch and hold that position for a while, instead of just doing the steps too fast. But I have a feeling it is the massage that does help most. I’ve been reading about ‘pressure points’. They are knots in the muscles and they can do a lot of damage, like pulling joints out of place and preventing blood to flow properly, which causes nerves to be pinched, which causes pain.

I can actually walk again for some distance without stopping a million times to adjust my back and without wincing with every step I take. Who knows, next thing I’ll be running the Marathon (^_^).

I still have pain in my joints, caused by arthritis, courtesy of working for decades in freezing temperatures, or humid weather, from kneeling on hard concrete floors with or without knee-pads, from climbing ladders and stairs. Things the Compensation Board won’t acknowledge, but that is another topic.

Anyway, I give Physiotherapy a huge round of applause. And that includes my Physiotherapist at the 7-Oaks Hospital. She plays a large part in this, because she recognized the cause of my pain.

I can deal with the pain I still have, even without pills. Unfortunately, growing older also includes benefits, like stiff joints and loss of muscle tone, no matter how much you exercise, and some pain is part of the package. The good part is, as long we can still feel pain we are alive, but a little bit of pleasure would also be appreciated.

Thanks for reading and have a pain free week.

No comments:

Post a Comment