Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Another project finished



We finally changed the counter-top in one of the bathrooms. The old one lasted for 22 years. The drain in the sink was developing a dark brown ring because the finish was wearing off. We were told 22 years is about all one can expect from these types of molded counter-tops. So we bought a new one. It is made from the same cultured marble, but it has a better finish. They call it a granite finish. Cost a bit more, double actually, but supposedly lasts longer.

It was quite a job to remove the old counter-top and it was heavy. My wife and I struggled to carry it into the garage, where it still is. Now I have to get rid of it. Anyone in the market for a used counter-top?

The new one was just as heavy as the old one, but we managed to put it in place without getting a hernia. The big problem was the plumbing. These counter-tops don’t have an overflow, which means you don’t need the drain pipe with the holes in it. The only one I could find was with the plug as a pop up that is closed and opened by pushing it with your finger. You have to put your hand into the water when the sink is full to open the drain. The old drain had the plug controlled with a rod built into the faucet. Now that rod is only there for decoration.

I paid $40.00 for this drain, but it is all metal and should last as long as the sink.

Once I had everything hooked up, came the job of putting a bead of silicon around the trim. I did and discovered it wasn’t a good idea. You can’t paint silicon. I wasn’t happy with that, because we couldn’t make a straight line with the paint that had come off when we removed the old counter-top. So I cut off the silicone again and used acrylic with silicone. It can be painted.

My wife repainted part of the wall and now it looks good. Better than the old one. It took us nearly two weeks to finish the job. We didn’t work every day on it, but you have to wait between certain steps. The acrylic caulking needs to cure and the paint has to dry. I have to admit, the job turned out great and my wife is happy. So am I.

Here is a picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment