Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

#Pork shoulder and Sauerkraut...a supper to remember



Today I felt sorry for people who have to eat mainly Restaurant food. We ate #Saurkraut with pork shoulder and boiled potatoes. Just a basic supper but oh so delicious. You can’t get that in a restaurant, not here, anyway.

Of course, it helps to have a wife who can cook. So I also felt sorry for men who are married to a woman who cannot cook. It happens a lot these days. The only option these men have is to learn to cook.

I’m not a cook. Okay, I’m not a complete dud, I can make chicken or beef soup, I know how to boil or fry an egg. I know how to open a can or package and make a soup (Oops, that’s not considered cooking. Anyone can do that, I think.) Anyway, I’m lucky to be married to a woman who knows how to cook and bake.

We use Hengstenberg Sauerkraut. Imported from Germany. We love it because it is not too sour and there is plenty of kraut in the container. It comes in a can. But just opening the can and heating up the Sauerkraut does not do it. My wife puts in bacon pieces to give it more taste. The pork shoulder she does in a Crock pot with onions and spices. Don’t ask me for details. The meat is tender when it’s done. That’s all I worry about. With that we eat boiled potatoes and lots of gravy.

Tonight I drank a Bitburger beer. Also imported from Germany. You have to drink a German beer when you eat German Sauerkraut. Actually, I got that beer from my son for my birthday. I am too cheap to buy imported beer. I usually drink Canadian beer, which, come to think of it, isn’t cheap either. Our government wants to make too much profit on the alcohol we buy. Aah, I got carried away again with that pet gripe of mine!

The problem with good food is that we eat too much of it. It just tastes so darn good. Tomorrow I’ll be smoking Goldeye again. We still have a few in the freezer, but they are coming to an end. It’s time for the fishing season to start again so we can on the lake, but the way the weather is, I have my doubts about that happening soon.

What was on your dinner plate tonight? I hope your supper was as good and tasty as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment