Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, March 16, 2015

#Carrot/Ginger Soup



If you are new to my blog or accidentally landed on it, my blog is not about recipes. It’s not about fishing or hunting, not about making beer and wine, either. It is neither about health advice, smoking fish, nor is it about poetry or writing books. It is about all those things and more. I also write about politics and news items and things that bug me. Sometimes I get carried away a little.

They intercepted three young guys, who wanted to join #ISIS. What’s wrong with these teenagers? Don’t they have a brain in their head? Joining a group of bloodthirsty religious extremists is nothing short of committing suicide. How about those three teenage girls? By now they must be screaming and whimpering and calling for there ‘mommies’. I have not doubt they’ve already been raped and brutalized many times. What were they thinking? Joining terrorists, like ISIS, a bunch of homicidal maniacs, is not a picnic; it’s not some fantasy romance. It’s a trip to Hell from which there is no return.

Anyway, enough of that. Yesterday I made a #Carrot/Ginger soup that tasted delicious. In fact, as soon as I’m done writing this, I will have another bowl. On top of it, it is extremely healthy. There are many Carrot/Ginger soup recipes on the internet; some are just copies of recipes from other blogs or websites. The ingredients are different from mine. Some of them use butter instead of oil; some even add milk. If you have an allergy toward dairy products, you may like this one. No milk or cream.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients (makes about 6 servings, depending how much you fill into your soup dish -:)
  • 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
  • 1 ½ lb carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 3 stalks of Celery, washed and chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon clear honey
  • 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
  • Possibly salt and pepper
Directions
  • Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes or until translucent.  Add the carrots and celery and sauté for another 2 minutes.
  • Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric, curry powder, paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, honey, and cayenne pepper into the pot of vegetables. Stir the whole mixture and sauté for two minutes.
  • Slowly, pour 4 cups of vegetable/chicken broth into the pot. After bringing it to a boil, turn the heat down to a low setting. Cover the pot and simmer for about 40 or 50 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
  • Blend the soup in a food processor or blender. Before you blend it, let the mixture cool down. Don’t blend the whole pot full at one time. If the soup is too thick, add additional broth.
  • Add salt and black pepper to taste and serve.

Notes: I used Chicken broth. After blending it, I found it too thick, so I added 2 cups of broth, which I made from a vegetable cube. I used Knorr. I didn’t add any salt or pepper. It was spicy enough for me, in fact it was a bit too spicy. Next time I’ll go easy on the red pepper flakes, but that is a matter of taste. Some people like it hot and spicy.
It tasted great.

No comments:

Post a Comment