Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Snow is gone



Amazing how things can change from one day to the next. Yesterday, we had a snowstorm; today, the sun is shining and most of the snow has melted. I bet the people who ended up in the ditch yesterday ask themselves how that could happen. They probably wish they had stayed home. We did, but we are in a position to do that. That is one of the perks we retired people have. There are not many, but that is one of them, to choose when to leave the house, unless there is some kind of emergency, like no beer in the fridge or playing the 6/49.

Speaking of the 6/49. When I play the lotteries, which doesn’t happen too frequently anymore, I usually play the Western. It costs only 2 bucks, which includes the EXTRA. Last week I played the regular 6/49 and paid 4 Dollars. That was probably the last time I play that one. The cost is too high for me; besides, I don’t need 30 million Dollars. One million is enough ☺. Strange, how people always go crazy buying lottery tickets when the prize is in the millions. The Max is the worst. 5 bucks for a ticket to win a huge jackpot, but the chances of winning are even worse than the regular 6/49. I believe it is 1 in 20 million chances. Most people wouldn’t even know what to do with 50 million Dollars. I know...I know...spend it, but that much money causes only headaches and usually doesn’t bring as much happiness as people believe.

The secret to happiness is still to be satisfied with what one has, but strive for more without going crazy. Sure, money can buy a lot of stuff and even some freedom, but it is not always about money. How many really rich people are there who have nothing but problems and they are not happy. Just look at all the movie stars. Most of them are not happy. They can’t even stay married to the same spouse for a long time. There are quite a few who have committed suicide because they had some kind of mental issue. All the money in the world did not help them to solve their problems.

We went to Tim Horton’s today. My wife claimed her big win...a free coffee. She was disappointed; the ‘Roll-up-the Rim’ is finished. Perhaps I should dance for joy. This means next time we go out for lunch it is my turn to choose where to go. Today, I had the Turkey/wild rice soup. They actually had it this time. I didn’t care much for it. Too thick, for one thing. That wild rice looks and tastes just like barley and I never cared for barley. The only soup I sort of like at Tim Horton’s is the broccoli cream soup, but there is a limit to how many times I want to eat it. I like my own soups much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment