Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, March 9, 2015

#Signs of Spring



Yesterday was the first time this year we had lunch and supper in our sun-room. Actually, that is early, because last year it was April 1 when we sat for the first time in the sun-room. We have a three-season sun-room, which means it can’t be used in the winter. Although I installed a heater in the wall, the single-glass panes have no insulation value.

However, yesterday the sun was shining and the temperature was plus 4 in the sun-room in the morning, so I decided it was time to enjoy it again. I turned on the heaters (One stationary in the wall and one movable electric oil-heater. By 11 o’clock it was 20 C in there, warm enough to put our canary Eddie into the sun-room. He loves it in there and he began singing immediately. He has the view of the yard and can watch the wild birds in the feeders, which gets him excited and causes him to burst out into a loud song. Who knows what goes on in his little birdbrain. Maybe he’s happy to be inside a warm room instead of freezing off his tail outside.

At lunch time we also sat out there, enjoying a glass of wine and the warmth of the sun and the view. There is nothing better to soothe the soul than looking at nature’s beauty, even if it is just snow on the ground. We noticed that some of our cedars are getting brown tips from the sun’s reflection on the snow. I’ll go out later and cover them with burlap. We still had supper out there, but after supper the temperature began to drop and we had to close everything down. Eddie wasn't happy and neither were we. But this was only the first day. Many more to come.

Yesterday we had to change our clocks to Daylight Savings Time. I’m not sure if that whole idea about this back and forth with the clock in Spring and in the Fall is a good idea. I, like many people, see no advantage in it. It’s confusing and, apparently, causes many accidents on the first Monday after the change.

On March 6th I seeded some Leeks, Bunch Onions, and Sweet Basil into containers to get a head start for my garden. In a couple of weeks I will seed my peppers.

Anyway, the signs of Spring are in the air.


No comments:

Post a Comment