Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, March 30, 2015

#|Grapefruit, #Peppers, and #Guppies



Texas. I’ve never been there, but there are many things I like about Texas. They say everything is big in Texas. I don’t know about that. When I was a teenager, I used to read Westerns. There was a series about Texas Rangers, which I especially loved. A Texas Ranger and his fast gun, taking on the outlaws. The stuff of legends and wonderful stories.

However, this is not about Texas and Rangers. This is about grapefruit. I know it’s not as exciting as reading about Texas Rangers, but we love the grapefruit from Texas. We don’t buy anything else. They are sweet and juicy. In fact, I’ve eaten oranges that were nothing like that. We’ve bought grapefruit from California but didn’t care much for them. They did not measure up. They were not nearly as sweet and juicy as the ones from Texas. I’m not saying California doesn’t have any good grapefruit. They may have, but the ones we’ve been buying at odd times in the stores weren’t that great. Maybe they don’t export the good ones, like the practice of winegrowers in other parts of the world. They keep the better stuff at home.

This year, we’ve been lucky again. Texas grapefruit were available for most of the season and we try to eat one every day. One is big enough for two people. After all, they are from Texas.
The snow is nearly all gone now…again. Let’s hope it stays away from now on. Today I saw many flocks of geese flying over our house. I love the honking of the geese. It surely heralds the arrival of springtime. Easter is in one week. Early this year. We don’t have any tulips growing yet, but the catkins on the willows are plentiful and beautiful. There is hope for winter to come to an end for good.

The peppers I seeded in my basement have all sprouted and are already a couple of inches tall. I keep them under a fluorescent light over my large aquarium and they’re doing okay. I put them close to the light in order to prevent them from becoming too leggy and I water them every day. The seed pots are small and dry out quickly. Once they are tall enough, I have to cull them to one plant per pot. I always find that difficult to do. I hate pulling out healthy looking plants and just throwing them into the garbage, but if I want tall plants, I have to do that. I’ll probably transplant some into other pots. There is always room for more pepper plants in my garden.

I have the same problem with my guppies. They multiply quickly and can overcrowd a tank in a very short time, but I cannot get myself to just kill them. Each guppy in my tank is precious to me, but if I don’t want them to die because the tank is becoming overcrowded and polluted, then I have to remove some of them. I try to give them away. One time I gave one of my friends 75 guppies. I just dipped the net into the tank and scooped them out, never counting them. He told me later how many he got. I still had plenty left. Of course, I could always sell them, but so far I’ve always found somebody who wanted some. Giving them away seems to make me happier,  because that way I now where they are.

Speaking of overcrowding. Our planet is in danger of becoming overcrowded. Unfortunately, the explosion of the human race is happening in parts of the world where it shouldn’t be happening. When I see pictures of children who are skeletal and obviously starving, I cannot understand why people who cannot feed themselves have so many children. It is cruel, stupid, and irresponsible.
And I don’t believe sending food and aid to these countries is going to be beneficial for the future of our planet. We are only adding to the problem. There may come a time when there won’t be enough food to feed all the people. What will we do then? There is a shortage of food already in some countries. Something needs to be done now. We can’t start killing people, even though the terrorists and other groups seem to make that their agenda. We can’t send the overflow to other planets, the way I solve my problem with an overcrowded guppy tank by transferring my guppies to another tank or give them to a friend. No, it must be done at the source…to limit the number of children being born worldwide. The birthrate needs to be controlled. They did that in China. If people are not smart or willing enough to do it for themselves, governments will have to force them to do it. Women need to either use methods to prevent becoming pregnant. If they refuse, they will be sterilized. Men need to use protection. Again, if they refuse, they will have to have a vasectomy or get castrated. Single women are not allowed to have children. Homosexual couples are not allowed to adopt children (the whole reason for homosexuals being born is to keep birthrates down.) Should people have more than one child, they will get government support for only one child. In fact, if they have more than one child, they will be penalized. Of course, if they can’t feed their children they are already punished. If couples cannot afford to properly feed and clothe their child but go ahead and have one anyway, they will be charged with a criminal offense: neglect to provide the necessary basic needs for a child.
This may sound cruel and heartless. They are not the conditions I would support with good conscience, but it is the future I see and we will have no choice, because the alternative will be even crueler. The Universe is a cruel, cold place without mercy and compassion. There will be much opposition. Certain interest groups will protest; they always do. Religious leaders will protest. The human rights group will protest. The governments of our world will have to become dictatorships.  Not an ideal future to look forward to.

Of course, Mother Nature may have things under control. If we refuse to do it voluntarily, it will be done by other methods. The human race may become decimated by deadly plagues, by destructive conflicts between nations, by natural disasters like floods, super storms and tornadoes, tsunamis, by a cosmic disaster, by women and men becoming sterile, by a worldwide spread of homosexuality (you need a male and a female to produce offspring!), or by other means I can’t think of. The Universe somehow seems to solve all the problems; unfortunately, it may not be in our best interest. The planet Earth will survive. Will the human race?

I have no idea how this blogpost ended up this way. I just wanted to write about grapefruit. But that’s how it usually goes with me. Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment