Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Annoying stuff

What a waste of time! We've started watching the TV show 'Dr. Ken'. It is funny so I searched the Internet for the earlier shows. I downloaded it from one of the sites which was a huge mistake. I should have known but even though I was suspicious about the download (it ended with .exe) I downloaded it anyway. It was supposed to be a torrent of the Show.

Well, long story short, suddenly things began to change on my computer. Popups and stuff. Instead of the homepage from Mozilla Firefox some other page opened. They wanted me to check my computer because apparently it was too slow. I needed updates and things like that. I couldn't get rid of these popups. And the starter page changed every time. I couldn't even find the Mozilla startup page anymore.

So I went to my Program Manager on the computer and discovered a whole bunch of new programs installed. I uninstalled them and my computer was almost back to normal except for Firefox. The advertising sites still popped up when I started the browser. I searched the Help site and followed a few suggestions but nothing helped. This program was stubborn. I finally downloaded an AdWare Extractor and that did the trick. Back to normal. I've used that program  a few months ago when I had trouble with popups. Actually they were voices on my computer--advertising.

My 'Housecall' program from my Virus program 'Micro Trend' did not detect any problems and gave my computer a clean bill of health. In other words it was useless.

So my advice on this second last day of the year is this: ALWAYS MAKE CERTAIN YOU ARE SURE THE SITE YOU ARE ON IS SAFE!!!  Don't download everything that promises you something for free. IT PROBABLY IS A TRAP! Beware! You've been warned.

Stay safe

HAPPY NEW YEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment