Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, December 26, 2015

#Planet Earth, the alien planet




Sometimes I feel as if I’m living on a different planet, a hostile planet---like Mars. Last night we had minus 29 C, that’s 20 Below in Fahrenheit for you people who didn’t have to change to the Metric system or are refusing to change.

It doesn’t matter how you measure it, it is damn cold. You can’t go outside without getting dressed like an Eskimo—pardon me, an Inuit. Got to be politically correct. I don’t see what difference it makes what we call the people who live in the Arctic. Eskimo was good enough until now. Suddenly it isn’t anymore. Anyway, I went outside to feed the birds and put on my snowmobile suit. I don’t have a snowmobile, but the suit still comes in handy. I wear it when I barbecue outside. Yes, I still barbecue in winter. After all, I’m a Manitoban and we are tough, but that still doesn’t mean we don’t freeze. We just accept this friggen cold weather and the snow that goes with it.

Last week I had to blow the snow off my driveway three times. It usually takes me one hour to do that and it is good exercise. It means I have to walk for one hour and push and pull the blower every time I change direction. It gets tiring.

Christmas has come and gone. Today is Boxing Day. Nothing to do with boxing, but I can see the people in the stores today pushing each other to get to the items advertised as ‘Door crashers’. Sometimes they have only one of those items. The odd boxing match might just happen then.

We don’t go shopping on Boxing Day. Usually, the prices stay low for the rest of the week, because now it is ‘Boxing Week’. I have to admit, there are some pretty good bargains to be had. I bought myself a fishing reel from Cabelas—on line. It will be delivered to my door within the next couple of weeks and it didn’t cost me any shipping charges. Can’t argue with that and it beats standing in line in the store or even driving there. Everything done from the comfort of my home. I bought it as a ‘Before Boxing Day’ sale and the price was within my budget. Now I can’t wait to go fishing again.

It was an item I actually needed. Many people go out and spend a lot of money on items they don’t really need, but it is a good deal they can’t turn down. That’s one of the ways of getting into financial trouble—and many people do at this time of year.

Electronic items are the big items now and now is the time to buy them. That’s how I bought my printers a couple of years ago.  The printers were cheaper than the replacement cartridges. And that is how we fill our garbage dumps! We live in an age of utter waste. Nothing gets repaired anymore and nothing lasts, either. It is a shame.

We had a toaster oven that stopped working. A small micro switch that  would have cost pennies would have repaired it but you can’t get spare parts, so we bought a new one and took the old old to the dump. The batteries in the ‘Sniffer Sweeper Vacuum’ my wife owned went dead. When I called the manufacturer the woman told me they didn’t have replacement batteries, because you couldn’t replace the original one, which was nonsense. The batteries would have been so simple to replace. You didn’t even have to solder anything. I could have bought batteries from China: 10,000 for $1,000. Obviously not an option. I needed only two and I had no intentions of opening a store to sell batteries.

The woman’s advice was to buy a new ‘Swiffer’. Wonderful advice. They had a summit in Paris discussing how to clean up the air and the environment which will cost the countries that ‘have money’, like Canada, billions of dollars and the loss of jobs. How about forcing manufacturers to build items that last and can be repaired? That would be a great start to clean up the environment and wouldn’t cost billions to implement. It may even create jobs.

Or how about putting effort into developing a drug that cures the common cold? What brings that up? Well—I have one right now. Got it as a Christmas present. Actually, I probably got it a few days before Christmas from some unknown donor and after incubating inside my body busily creating millions of germs it made its appearance in the morning of December 24—just in time for Christmas Eve. It started with a scratchy throat and developed into a burning throat and a cough. The war is on. Now I’m drinking plenty of water, eat cough candies and take the occasional cold-medicine, which does nothing but give me a dull head.

I didn’t let that spoil my Christmas. I still ate the ham and the dumplings my wife made and devoured the red cabbage with gusto; I had a glass of eggnog and a bottle of beer and snacked on more cookies and chocolates I should have. But what the heck—it is Christmas. We are allowed a few indiscretions when it comes to eating. Plenty of ham left. The kids and grandchildren celebrated with us and it was fun. Yesterday, we went to our son’s place and stuffed ourselves with turkey. It was tender and tasted great. He and our daughter-in-law went all out and did a wonderful job. There is nothing better than getting together with family sharing a scrumptious meal and a drink or two.

There should be a new law that declares every day ‘Christmas’. Wouldn’t it be nice to be in the Christmas spirit each and every day? To give presents to each other instead of exchanging bullets and bombs? To love our neighbors instead of hating them and wanting to kill them because they are different from us? Instead of destruction there would be construction. Everybody would work and have no time making plans who to kill next. Now that would be the best present of all and the world would be a much nicer place, even if it is an alien planet with extreme weather. We can deal with that.

Enjoy the rest of the year. 2016 is on its way.

We mustn't forget about our feathered friends who are also suffering in this cold

No comments:

Post a Comment