Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

#Coincidence?



We all have that little voice inside us that is trying to steer us in the, hopefully, right direction. Most people never hear it and if they do they usually ignore it. Some follow the voice. I do—most of the time.

Now I’m not talking about a real voice talking inside your head; that would be scary and something to worry about. There are some people who claim they do hear actual voices, but how can you prove they are telling the truth? Most of them are probably in some institution.

The voice I’m talking about is more like a feeling, a pull toward doing something, like an idea that pops into your mind. It is subtle and usually lasts only a moment. Some people will call it intuition or a hunch.

Where that ‘voice’ comes from I don’t know. Does it come from our own subconscious mind or is it some external force that is guiding us? People believe in Angels. I like to think it is the ‘Universe’ (God?) that sends these guiding impulses, these suggestions. To ignore them might keep you from experiencing good fortune or even lead you to a disaster. All of us have heard about lottery winners that never bought a ticket before but followed an impulse (a hunch) and bought a ticket which turned out to be a winner? How many times did people decide at the last moment for no apparent reason to postpone a trip by plane and the plane crashed?

On my recent hunting trip I came across fresh deer tracks in the newly fallen snow. My first impulse was to find a spot to sit and wait for a buck to come by, but my logical mind told me that I may have a better chance on the spot where I shot my buck the previous year. Well, guess what, an hour later a small herd of deer walked across the clearing in the same spot I had seen the tracks; too far away for me to shoot. Nothing came by where I sat. Had I followed my ‘little voice’ I might have shot my buck, but I ignored it and went home with nothing.

Some people may call it coincidence when something like that happens. But what is coincidence? Does it happen by chance or is there more to it?

We went shopping to Costco on Thursday. We wanted to buy paper towels, but for some reason we stopped to look at the toilet paper that was on sale. Usually, be buy #Kirkland, the #Costco brand, but this was a different brand name. One customer, who was also looking, said, “I don’t buy the Kirkland anymore. We have a septic field and it clogs up the pipes because the paper doesn’t break down fast enough.” So I said, “We have a septic field and never had trouble with the Kirkland toilet paper.” However, we bought the other brand because it was a good price. In the end, we forgot to buy the paper towels. Obviously, it wasn’t as important as the toilet paper.

Now here comes the strange part. Saturday, our toilet clogged up and I had to use a plunger and a ‘snake’ to unclog it. On impulse, I put a piece of Kirkland toilet paper into the sink and let it sit for a few minutes in water. It didn’t break down, just formed a thick, wet mass. From now on we won’t buy the Kirkland brand anymore. We were warned.

Coincidence? Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn’t.

Are you listening to that ‘little voice’?

No comments:

Post a Comment