Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, February 14, 2016

#Valentine

It's Valentine's Day. This is the day when lovers give each other cards and flowers and they go out for dinner--usually at inflated prices. We don't go out anymore for Valentine's Day, instead we eat at home. My wife makes a duck and it is always delicious. We've done so for years. It is much cheaper that way and we have a nice, quiet dinner without the noise and the hustle and bustle in a restaurant.
Besides, nobody makes a duck the way my wife does. She takes the time, usually about 3 hours in the oven, to make sure the fat is all broiled out and the skin is nice and crispy. And the meat is tender, not tough the way we've already had it in different restaurants. Duck rarely on the menu at most places, only at specialty restaurants. They charge a pretty penny and it probably isn't as good as making it at home. The reason is actually quite simple: Nobody wants to wait that long for a duck dinner, so the cooks will have to hurry it, which means a fatty and tough duck.

I'm not going to put a picture of the meal here. In case anyone is interested in seeing what a duck dinner looks like, please, go to my blog from last year:
http://hergros.blogspot.ca/2015/02/valentines-day.html
You'll find a picture plus a #poem I wrote for #Valentine's Day.

However, here is a picture of a Peking Duck. A live one.



Have a Happy Valentine's Day. I hope you're enjoying it with a person you love, either your husband or wife, a good friend, or even with your parents or children.



No comments:

Post a Comment