Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

#Annoying Music and annoying trends



I hope this is not going to be the newest trend. I’m talking about the background music in movies and TV shows. Background means it is supposed to be in the background, as the word says, barely noticeable.

Last night we watched the last episode of #‘Blindspot’, one of the shows on our list. Usually, we enjoy it, but this time it was not enjoyable at all. The ‘background’ music was so loud I found it almost impossible to hear the characters talking. There was also so much loud drumming. I don't care much for drumming at the best of times.

And this wasn’t the first show I found with such loud ‘background’ music.

My hearing isn’t as good as it used to be, so I blamed it on my hearing. However, when my wife complained about the loud music, I knew it wasn’t just me.

I remember the old movies where they had no music at all. (No, I’m not talking about Silent Movies. I’m not that old!!).

I realize that music adds to the mood and can make the difference between making a movie boring or tense, but loud music is annoying and distracting, especially when it is louder than the character's voices. Another thing I find I have problems understanding the dialog between characters. Again I blamed my hearing and I don’t doubt that it does contribute to that problem. The strange thing is that I don’t have that problem with old movies. I understand every word spoken. Incidentally, the same goes for modern music. I don't understand the words. I don't have trouble understanding the lyrics of the songs from the seventies or eighties.

The only explanation I have is that actors and singers these days do not pronounce their words properly. They act too ‘naturally’. When we watched the new version of #'True Grit' starring Jeff Bridges I didn’t understand anything he said (and neither did my wife who has good hearing). He mumbled and slurred his words so badly it was no pleasure to watch that movie. The old version with John Wayne was much more enjoyable.

I wish there were a way to control the level of the background music.

Another trend that fortunately did not make it was filming movies with a handheld camera. The 'Blair Witch Project' comes to mind. Apparently, moviegoers got dizzy watching it. We watched only part of it on a small screen and found it boring.

‘Behind Enemy Lines’ was one movie that used that technique. Again—not enjoyable. I’m sure glad that practice died before it went ballistic.

I think I’ll get myself a hearing aid. Perhaps that will eliminate some of my problems. My wife is getting tired of my constant question, “What did they say?”

2 comments:

  1. We both agree that the background music is getting way to loud and annoying. The other issue when watching TV is the volume is never consistent. You have the sound set for the voices and all of a sudden a commercial comes on and the volume goes up (too loud).

    Do you need a hearing aid? Well if you go to the movies you don’t. Really loud. And even louder for the previews. We always sit at the back of the show; even then you can feel the base sometimes on your ribs.

    There is no need for it to be so loud at all.

    Understanding the characters and their pronunciation of words is also true and does contribute to the problem.

    Watching the new shows that are current,they now add cell phone conversations to the show. You can’t understand the person on the other end because the sound changes as well.

    Maybe the world is just getting to noisy and complicated. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we are just getting too old -:)

    ReplyDelete