Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

#Polymer Clay

I've always loved drawing pictures as a kid and later on as a teenager. I even took a mail order course how to learn to draw and paint which I never finished and I never got into oils. Water colors and crayons, but mostly pencil and I was quite good at it. When I was in School I made a Gorilla out of clay and my teacher liked it. It was displayed in one of the display cases. Unfortunately, I never got to take it with me when I left School. Where am I going with this? Well, I've always wanted to work with modelling clay. A while ago I read about Polymer Clay and I was intrigued. You can burn it in the oven at around 260 F and it gets hard.

That stuff is not cheap, but I ordered some from China. I got 32 different colored bars for about 9.00 US dollars, including shipping. I figured I could give it a try. If it didn't  turn out not much money was lost. It took two months until I got it. Remember, it comes directly from China.

The bars are small and of different colors and you are limited with what you can make with them. I don't know if all Polymer clay is like the stuff I got. It is quite soft and pliable, but it is not easy to form any small details because it is so soft. If you lay it down on a surface that part gets flat while you are working molding the upper part. When you turn it around the part you've molded looses its shape.

Anyway, I managed to make a small model of a mermaid and one of the face of an elf. This morning I put it into the oven and baked it at 260 F for 20 minutes. (My wife was not home. She may not be too excited with my new hobby). It didn't turn out too badly but nothing like the beautiful tiny statues I've seen on Pintrest. I guess I need much more practice to produce something really nice. It is a start and I like to share it with you, but, please, don't laugh. Okay, laugh, if you want to. I won't know. By the way, the figures are about 1 inch tall. It is difficult to mold a tiny face like that of the mermaid because the clay is so soft. Also remember, this is my first try.



No comments:

Post a Comment