Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Gift or Bribe?


Every day lately we hear about another government official having received gifts from corporations, like free tickets to the Jets games and other functions. We are not so naïve to believe that companies give away thousands of dollars in gifts to influential government officials without expecting something in return. There is no such thing as ‘Free’, not when it comes to businesses, or even certain individuals.

Should Ministers of Parliament or any government official acting in a position where they can make certain decisions allowed to accept a gift from individuals or private companies?

Let’s not play games here. These so-called gifts are just another word for bribe. Are bribes ethical, a necessary evil, or even legal? The Oxford Dictionary defines a bribe this way: persuade to act improperly in one’s favor by a gift of money, services, etc. To act improperly. Doesn’t that say it all? Shouldn’t that be a crime punishable by a fine or even imprisonment if the bribe is substantial? Both parties should be made responsible for this illegal act…the giver and the recipient who accepts the ‘free gift’. This is like bribing a policeman in Mexico or any of those third world countries.

Bribing isn’t just limited to high government officials. It goes way down to the lowliest position in government. I remember years ago when I started my business I had to deal with inspectors. I used to get many red stickers just because I wasn’t on the jobsite when the inspector came by. When I mentioned this to another contractor, he said, “Maybe you’re not giving away enough bottles.” I asked him to explain and he told me it is customary to give the inspectors a bottle for Christmas. Well, I did that and from then on I got only a red sticker when it was actually warranted. It was an accepted practice to give bottles…bribes really. Part of doing business. We’re not talking big money here, but nobody questioned the ethics or legality of that practice. By the way, this happened so many years ago, I’m sure none of the inspectors is alive anymore. They retired and died of old age. No need to fret over it…I don’t.

But this thing with giving away expensive Jets tickets to people who can afford to pay for them when there are many fans who would like to buy tickets but can’t get any goes way beyond a simple bribe. They should either pay for them or give them back.

We hear just too much these days about how Government Servants in high places are taking advantage of their position by commandeering private jet planes, helicopters, going on expensive vacations, staying in luxurious hotels, hiring high-priced private chauffeurs, dining on prohibitively expensive foods, and take part in other extravagant activities, all paid for by the taxpayer. It is outrageous and should be stopped.

Just my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment