Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

We've been targeted by vandals

Anyone reading my blog probably read about the incident that happened in the night of March 28/29. Some punks busted our driveway lights. I wrote a letter to our local newspaper and they printed it. With my name as the author. Well, last night the same punks came back. They taped a copy of the letter to our door. They had circled a few of the quotes in my letter. I guess they didn't like it that I called them losers and stupid. I also suggested that parents should be made responsible for their children and pay for any damage they cause. They even circled that. On top of that they drew a couple of what looked like smiling faces on the paper. I perceive that as some kind of warning or threat. I've never liked being threatened by anyone.

To add insult to injury, they threw a number of eggs against one of our windows and on the bricks in front of the house. A couple of eggs even landed on the roof. Then they came into our yard and pulled out a fancy solar light and a decorative cloth windmill. We found both not far away in our neighbor's yard. At least they didn't steal or destroy them. Now we'll have the fun of scrubbing egg from the front of our house. I also found footprints. They are smallish, which means kids, most likely young teenagers. Most likely they live in the neighborhood.

I reported the incident to the RCMP. They sent out an officer and I made a verbal report. He took pictures and took the letter with him to scan it for fingerprints, which they found. Tomorrow we'll have to go and get fingerprinted so they can eliminate our prints from the letter. Unfortunately, we touched it. I'm not sure if I like that, but it is necessary. Now my fingerprints will be in the police records. I hope that won't create any trouble when we're traveling. What if I get asked if I've ever been fingerprinted? Should I say yes or no. If I say no I'm lying, if I say yes I may arouse suspicion of being a criminal. It could cause us delays at the border.

I wish I had never written that letter, but then again I can't just lie back and pretend everything is fine. That is not me. If I'm wronged I can't keep silent. I want the guilty ones to be punished.

Actually, the RCMP is treating this quite seriously, because it is not a random act anymore, but we've been targeted. Targeted by a bunch of young hoodlums. We'll see what happens. This second act may be just their undoing, because now they left fingerprints behind and are attracting more attention to their deed. People will be watching more closely now. I'll probably install a camera or two somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment