Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Triclosan...should it be banned?

Yesterday we saw in the news that scientists have concluded that Triclosan can cause cancer. Here is part of an article I copied from the David Zuzuki Foundation site. 

Triclosan is used mainly in antiperspirants/deodorants, cleansers, and hand sanitizers as a preservative and an anti-bacterial agent. In addition to cosmetics, triclosan is also used as an antibacterial agent in laundry detergent, facial tissues, and antiseptics for wounds, as well as a preservative to resist bacteria, fungus, mildew and odors in other household products that are sometimes advertized as "anti-bacterial." These products include garbage bags, toys, linens, mattresses, toilet fixtures, clothing, furniture fabric, and paints. Triclosan also has medical applications.

I found triclosan in the toothpaste we've been using: Colgate - Total.
The other toothpaste we are using is Crest - Complete. It doesn't contain any triclosan. So, from now on, only Crest. Colgate is off the list until they take out triclosan.

It is scary, because triclosan ends up in the water and in the soil. It doesn't break down and will cause much damage to the environment and future generations.

Substances like that should be banned immediately, not ten or twenty years down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment