Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

A dangerous deer II



It seems my information was not quite correct. Apparently, the conservation officer who shot the deer used a 9mm pistol. They showed some picture on the news last night, which explained a few things. The people took in the deer as a fawn. It had been injured and they nurtured it back to health. It became tame. There were pictures with the young deer playing with a dog, and lying in front of a house.
They also mentioned a woman in the news, who was injured by a deer in Winnipeg. After she tried to herd the deer into a corral, the deer bumped her with its head and kicked her with a hoof, inflicting a nearly life-threatening injury. Of course, any animal will lash out when it is cornered and feels threatened. That deer was truly wild, probably not used to humans, but the deer that was shot was pretty much tame, having been practically raised by humans. It could almost be considered a pet. What’s wrong with that? Just because someone in authority makes it a rule ‘Don’t feed wild animals’, doesn’t mean people will follow that rule. People still have certain rights to do as they please, as long as it doesn’t involve criminal activities, and I don’t consider feeding animals a criminal activity. I feed birds. You can’t forbid everything, not in a free country.
As a hunter, I follow the wildlife rules imposed on us by Manitoba Conservation, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with all of them. Most of the rules are there to control the number of animals that can be harvested and to conserve the environment and animals for future generations. That is the whole reason. It has little to do with the protection of people. For that we have our law enforcement officers. Unfortunately, there is a certain group of people in Canada who do not have to follow many of the rules, and that creates negative feelings among hunters who have to pay for licenses and can hunt only at certain times of the year, and have to abide by bag limits, be it deer, elk, moose, or even fish. It is not fair and not right. It does absolutely nothing for conservation, in fact, it makes it nearly impossible. But that is another story and has nothing to do with this incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment