Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

My 100 gallon fish tank



A few weeks ago I bought 6 Silver Dollars (Fish). I usually keep new fish in a separate tank in quarantine for a couple of weeks before I introduce them to my 100 gallon tank, but this time I didn’t. I have a female wagtail platy in the quarantine tank and I’m waiting for her to drop some young.
Anyway, I put the Silver Dollars into the big tank. They seemed okay. They ate right away and swam in a school, but a few days later I counted only 5. After a couple more days I found one caught inside one of the plants. Dead. They kept on dying. Now I only have 2 left. They seem to be okay.
My other fish, guppies (I have idea how many), 1 red wagtail platy, 6 white skirt tetras, and 8 red eye tetras, are fine.
I had the water tested and found out that my pH level was 8.5. Too alkaline for the Silver Dollars. They like it around 6.5. We have well water and it is hard. There was also too much ammonia in the water. The problem is I have too many fish in there. The guppies are multiplying too fast. I need to do more water changes instead of just adding more water. The ammonia builds up to a level too high.
So yesterday I changed 25% of the water to lower the ammonia content and added a piece of driftwood to make the water more acid. I hope it works.

Here are a couple of pictures how the tank looks:





You can see one of the Silver Dollars to the left of the driftwood in the center of the picture.


This is the view of the whole tank. The light on the left is the reflection of the sunlight.


1 comment:

  1. yikes. Sorry to see you are having problems with your big tank. I had problems with one of my 20 gals but when I did my water changes it was better. Sometimes I get lazy and don't do the changes as often as I should, then I pay the price. The 55 gal tank with the pond fish I do every two weeks, just because they are dirty fish. Dean has been looking after everything and he said all is well with the fish. Hope yours is doing better now. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete