Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Be my Valentine

Yes, it is February 14, Valentins's Day. A day for lovers. Some couples will go out for supper tonight. My wife and I will stay home. We'll be celebrating by eating a duck, with boiled potatoes and Savoy cabbage. We've made that our tradition. Hmm, just writing about it makes my mouth water. My wife is a good cook and she makes the best duck I've ever eaten. We've had duck in restaurants, and most of the time it hasn't been long enough in the oven and the breast is usually still covered with a thick layer of fat. The fat needs to be broiled out and the skin has to be crispy. My wife does it like that. Eaten with a glass of wine makes it a wonderful culinary experience.

I write novels, but I've never considered myself to be a poet or a romantic fool, even though I've written over 50 poems for my wife. I write one for every holiday, like Christmas, Easter, birthdays, and, yes, Valentine's Day. I create a card and put the poem into it. I am not allowed to publish the poems. My wife considers them her property, because they've been written for her and not the public. I am making an exception here and I will publish the one I wrote this year. She won't know, because she doesn't read my blog. So, don't tell her. Let this be our secret.

                                                           Valentine's Day 2013
                                                                   To my wife

 

There seems to be some misconception
about this day called Valentine
there may even be a little deception
when someone says to you: Be mine.

There’s talk about a kid named Cupid
who is said to live inside a cloud
I don’t want to say he’s stupid
for shooting his arrows all about

But he seems to waste them on the young
who sure don’t need encouragement
with desires naturally strong
their intentions are quite translucent

Now it’s different with the more mature
I don’t want to imply they’re old
But they could use a nudge for sure
to heat up what has grown a bit cold

One arrow in the heart may do
to flame the fires still aglow
Or maybe  it will take a few
to rekindle those passions from long ago

Love is not something reserved for the young
Us older folks need some loving too
Many a song about that has been sung
Let me sing one for you

Be my Valentine, my Love
Because my love is strong
I love you still with all my heart
And that’s my Valentine’s song




2 comments:

  1. Wow that is great Herb. Put me to shame as the words don't come easy for me. Hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a great day. The duck turned out nice and we ate pretty much the whole thing. There really isn't much on a duck. But it tasted delicious.

      Delete